New Hornby Website

miles73128

Needs more work, methinks. When I selected Era 3, it showed 10 pages and 115 items. As I progressed through, from page to page, the number of total pages reported dropped to 9, then 8, and finally 6.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Presumably no logic whatsoever to the ordering of service sheets as yet

Was there one before?

I never found it easy to navigate the service sheet listing

9 hours ago, truffy said:

Needs more work, methinks. When I selected Era 3, it showed 10 pages and 115 items. As I progressed through, from page to page, the number of total pages reported dropped to 9, then 8, and finally 6.

Have to say I agree. I've just had a look before reading this thread and I noticed how glitchy it was - a simple search for FGW & First Great Western brought up several links to pages, none of which bought me the FGW models I was looking for (including bizarrely a link to the 2018 range announcements). I then look through the ordering of the 2021 range era wise, it started off giving me the 2021 range then gave up and said no products matched my search.  It's alright, but it's certainly not without it's teething troubles!  

• Agree 1

The new web site seems a bit glitchy (see screenshot), so perhaps early days, and I also find it rather slow. Rather than updating the web site, surely updating the hardware would have been more in order. Personally, I would have said that the key to a successful on-line retail shop is to use a fast web server so that customers don't get bored and browse elsewhere. A minor point, but I also noted that a single style sheet has been applied to all old editions of the Engine Shed, which has the advantage of making them appear with the same typographical style and headers, but is to the detriment of some older pages (though perhaps this is not important).

Just my initial reaction...

hornby_error.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Definitely "not yet production quality" if you ask me at the moment. If this was tested by my team of crack System Testers I'd have expected there to be more things working on the day it went live. I dread to think of how many JIRAs are outstanding on this.

Some of the selection criteria seems incorrect on some pages - which is probably just bad data set up, but giving the option of filtering by "locomotive" (which returns 1 result a B17) and "steam" (which returns 18 results not including the B17) seems just.. bad data.

I also like the way that it gave me a picture of a BR-marked H-Class for "Era 3"...

image.png.e17202b6dfcf6db3057329f100f6ea5d.png

The "Out now!" page ( https://uk.Hornby.com/catalogue/out-now?page=1 ) is full of things  that are marked as "Available to pre-order"...

The forums are taking for ever to convert, but then I'd have expected that to take some time, we've got some long conversations on there. We want it done right.... For instance - if The Duke's main thread gets lost I may never buy another thing from Hornby again...

Edited by PeterStiles
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

39 minutes ago, 9402 Fredrick said:

There's another glitch on their new site showing that they're planning to produce a collett 81xx large prairie, but they haven't annoucned it but I see it pop up occasionally.

I wonder what odds William Hill are offering on Hornby announcing a Collett 81xx Large Prairie? :jester:

• Funny 3

On 21/01/2021 at 13:32, truffy said:

It did that with me, as well. Initially, I thought that it was one of those 'what's the next pair of numbers' sequences, so beloved of TV quiz shows, but there didn't seem to be any logic to it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/01/2021 at 14:22, PeterStiles said:

Definitely "not yet production quality" if you ask me at the moment. If this was tested by my team of crack System Testers I'd have expected there to be more things working on the day it went live. I dread to think of how many JIRAs are outstanding on this.

Some of the selection criteria seems incorrect on some pages - which is probably just bad data set up, but giving the option of filtering by "locomotive" (which returns 1 result a B17) and "steam" (which returns 18 results not including the B17) seems just.. bad data.

I also like the way that it gave me a picture of a BR-marked H-Class for "Era 3"...

image.png.e17202b6dfcf6db3057329f100f6ea5d.png

The "Out now!" page ( https://uk.Hornby.com/catalogue/out-now?page=1 ) is full of things  that are marked as "Available to pre-order"...

The forums are taking for ever to convert, but then I'd have expected that to take some time, we've got some long conversations on there. We want it done right.... For instance - if The Duke's main thread gets lost I may never buy another thing from Hornby again...

There'd be at least 1 Jira raised for the wording of that error message alone if I was testing it. Wouldn't have even got through UAT in my book, but then I'm a stickler for detail.

Not sure the reason to rush it out to live, the old site was working fine, unless the new site allows them to deal with the changes B****t have brought along much easier.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

There'd be at least 1 Jira raised for the wording of that error message alone if I was testing it. Wouldn't have even got through UAT in my book, but then I'm a stickler for detail.

Not sure the reason to rush it out to live, the old site was working fine, unless the new site allows them to deal with the changes B****t have brought along much easier.

Was it?

Every time I tried to use it, it went down. Been happening for months. Not just the Hornby one, but the Airfix part as well. It was even down the day AIrfix was going to do their announcement which had to be put back a day or two.

So to say It was working fine isn't correct.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Steamport Southport said:

Was it?

Every time I tried to use it, it went down. Been happening for months. Not just the Hornby one, but the Airfix part as well. It was even down the day AIrfix was going to do their announcement which had to be put back a day or two.

So to say It was working fine isn't correct.

Ah, yes, when they made the announcements, but I would say that was down to volume of traffic, rather than the actual site.

The new site is definitely an improvement, and it seems to have settled down now, no doubt there was some database building going on in the background.