New Hornby Website

miles73128

5 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

I make this day three of no Hornby Forum...

Oh well, it’s not that important I suppose...:diablo_mini:

5 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Just checked back myself - nothing doing on the forum ...

Trying to wean us off it?

Al.

But it says why it's not available at the moment.

Hornby Forum.jpg

• Agree 1

I withdraw my early comment in this thread praising the new website, it is a disaster, it shows 49 early crest BR engines in 5 pages in 'shop now' but crashes after 24 entries, it lists models randomly   it appears to have been written by incompetent people   

best abandon it and re-instate the old one in the meantime if possible and fire the software supplier.

I haven't bought much directly from Hornby due to their long-term policy of exorbitant postal charges to NZ,  but possibly a couple of thousand pounds worth over the years. 

It doesn't inspire confidence given the apparent move to more direct marketing.

The writers of the site do not even know that engines or locomotives are not exactly 'trainsets and rolling stock' in any normal use of English. The words 'engine' and 'steam' and 'diesel' appear in options further along from initial choices.

As to a filter like 'steam' or 'diesel'... nope, i some iterations of the page it has to be era....  where the products on offer may typically span three eras.  

The architecture of the site is also clumsy. At first glance I thought it was just me, unfamiliarity and so on, but the more I look at it, no, it is downright hopeless and I'd be ashamed of it if I had anything to do with it.

Hurrmmpphhh!!!!

I had something between 8 and 10 attempt to log in with various methods and eventually took up the option to re-set my password, which I did, re-setting it successfully to my exact old password, which had failed continually, sigh, and in viewing my old orders discovered that these were still being copied to the new site...

Now if Hornby could design a user-friendly direct marketing site as good as say Hattons or Kernow they would be hard to beat, presuming they could offer good prices and fair postage, but it seems a long way off 

Edited by robmcg
added comment
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 hours ago, robmcg said:

it shows 49 early crest BR engines in 5 pages in 'shop now' but crashes after 24 entries, it lists models randomly 

This is not dissimilar to the problem that I faced last Thursday. I did raise the issue with Hornby, and gave them my email address for them to follow up. Needless to say, my inbox remains unsullied.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The is just one thing the new website offers, practice in the art of negotiating bad websites.

Whether or not it can be made user-friendly is an open question.

If Hornby do return to profit , it will be in spite of this website, not because of it. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I had another go at browsing the new site, and apart from the annoyance of having to negotiate from 'trainsets and rolling stock'  to 'locomotives', to 'steam' and the then apply a filter like 'high to low price'    it was unbridled joy....   oh, I could have 8 pages with 24 items rather than 12, how nice.

I'm trying not to be sarcastic but it really resembles a great leap sideways.

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

Well, just checked and they're still 'transferring files across' from the old Forum .... is somebody dragging and dropping one-by-one?  !!

So far, not particularly impressed.

There again, Heathrow T5 was a disaster initially, now it's one of my favourite terminals I travel through - when able / permitted!

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 1

On 27/01/2021 at 09:14, cbrooks122000 said:

I entirely agree with all your comments. I just thought it was me, I do tend to be a bit critical. I went through the same process of it not recognising my password. Even when it did, the website crashed, although eventually I managed to order a product. I used to work in software and for a while I have had my doubts about Hornby's software support, this seems to bear them out. 

I had the same issue when trying to reset my password as per their email. First time it crashed with unexpected error, so the site is clearly still buggy. (I had to repeat the whole operation and it worked the second time, but I would have probably given up for a while had it crashed a second time.) I would hesitate to buy at the moment as I can see my basket filling up and then all being lost at some crucial stage of the transaction. For my online shopping, I'll stick with Hattons, Rails, Derails, Burevalley, Kernow, et al. (other excellent model shops available) for now.

Jeremy 

5 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

This site?

https://uk.Hornby.com/

Looks like their CSS is broken as well.

image.png.00b7743694130a1dd8150a1c4ee37a7a.png

4 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Can somebody send out a search party for the Search Function?

image.png.7d0c923524abc67b00e535eb8b9e45e7.png

Not just the CSS, its a 502 Bad Gateway now!

Gone quite wrong?  Some sort of an understatement...

Edited by Hroth
Damn 'puter, I typed 502...
  • Like 1

On 27/01/2021 at 03:01, robmcg said:

I withdraw my early comment in this thread praising the new website, it is a disaster, it shows 49 early crest BR engines in 5 pages in 'shop now' but crashes after 24 entries, it lists models randomly   it appears to have been written by incompetent people   

best abandon it and re-instate the old one in the meantime if possible and fire the software supplier.

I haven't bought much directly from Hornby due to their long-term policy of exorbitant postal charges to NZ,  but possibly a couple of thousand pounds worth over the years. 

It doesn't inspire confidence given the apparent move to more direct marketing.

The writers of the site do not even know that engines or locomotives are not exactly 'trainsets and rolling stock' in any normal use of English. The words 'engine' and 'steam' and 'diesel' appear in options further along from initial choices.

As to a filter like 'steam' or 'diesel'... nope, i some iterations of the page it has to be era....  where the products on offer may typically span three eras.  

The architecture of the site is also clumsy. At first glance I thought it was just me, unfamiliarity and so on, but the more I look at it, no, it is downright hopeless and I'd be ashamed of it if I had anything to do with it.

Hurrmmpphhh!!!!

I had something between 8 and 10 attempt to log in with various methods and eventually took up the option to re-set my password, which I did, re-setting it successfully to my exact old password, which had failed continually, sigh, and in viewing my old orders discovered that these were still being copied to the new site...

Now if Hornby could design a user-friendly direct marketing site as good as say Hattons or Kernow they would be hard to beat, presuming they could offer good prices and fair postage, but it seems a long way off 

@robmcg - Have to agree with most all of that.

It smells to me like a website with the front-end (presentation layer) designed by Marketing, but with little thought, priority or budget given to the underlying technology.

Perhaps with a "Go Live" date insisted on by some Senior Person Who Must Be Obeyed, so little things like Testing and Bug Fixing falls off the end of the project's critical path.

Some might say it's a Hornby corporate culture issue. Any resemblance to Hornby models that look nice but don't work very well is entirely coincidental.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

I suppose "testing" was done by the developers and the commissioning department, who knew what they wanted it to do.  They didn't test it using real-world subjects who had no idea of how it was expected to be used and who click willy-nilly approach the website in unforseen ways.

I always found it a bit of a bu@@er when users attacked software in unusual ways!

Edited by Hroth
typing is off today
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1