Hookton and the Lipp Vale

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A selction of Hooktons motive power  a real mixed bag but at least I can ring the changes and there are another 5 available. You can never have too many engines. :whistle:

IMG-1999.jpg

Edited by Mike
removed image
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hookton: Just trying what will be the raised section. The buidings in the background are a scale 2 metres higher but, maybe the height will be increased by another metre.

IMG-2003 (1)_Moment.jpg

• Like 9

Monday morning thoughts posted on a Wednesday. Wow! me thinking, now that's a first.::crazy:

I cannot claim to be a railway modeller as I do not really model railways. I have scratch-built locomotives, made my own trackwork, built baseboards and scratch- built structures all of which are just part of a process.

I start with a place, a period in history, a community. I follow the seven W’s system. What, where, when, which, who, why and not forgetting how. The W is at the end of how. So, the railway is coincidental as it arrived last and is Just a part of the whole.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just  made a start on the the jurassic coast rock face with still loads to do but it helps in forming the scene. Heart scan tomorrow so fingers crossed I can get on and do some more modelling as the rockwork has taken 13 days so far - slowly slowly. 

IMG-2036.jpg

IMG-2031.jpg

IMG-2032.jpg

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OH ******, ran out of tiles so just placed an order and whilst I was at it, down-pipe fittings and guttering. Now that the position of the buildings are finally sorted I can get the ground work sorted and fix and finish each of them.  Here are a few photos.

IMG_0921 (2).jpg

P5090156.jpg

P5090157.jpg

P5090158.jpg

P5090159.jpg

P5090160.jpg

P5090161.jpg

P5090162.jpg

P5090163.jpg

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

Hookton update: Guttering and down-pipe brackets now arrived from ModelU, paint and Evergreen plastic and Wills granite sets due on Monday, so no excuses not to crack on. In the meantime here are a few happy snaps showing some progress.

P5160164.jpg

P5160165.jpg

P5160166.jpg

P5160167.jpg

P5160168.jpg

P5160170.jpg

P5160171.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hookton update; Started adding colour to the boat. Once I have completed it I can move on to the harbour mud and grot. Meanwhile the Rio Bus bodies are soaking in Dettol to remove the paint

IMG-2176.jpg

• Like 6

Just a little bit more on "Rainbow" I have decided as she will be moored I will leave the nets off and their booms lowered. Deadeyes rigging, fat fingers and failing eyesight  - Okay it's a cop out Now for the weathering and final details. The ships wheel is a Ratio plastic wagon wheel with the flange removed. In the background the railbus stripped of paint thanks to an overnight in Dettol.

IMG-2179.jpg

IMG-2180.jpg

IMG-2182.jpg

Edited by Mike
omitted dialogue
  • Like 8

Update (too many to count) Hookton harbour and surrounds: The Rainbow  is still not fixed as I need to finish work on the buildings behind where she will be moored.

P6150172 (3).JPG

P6150173 (2).JPG

P6150176 (2).JPG

P6150178 (2).JPG

P6150180 (2).JPG

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...

Why is it that when you have had a trouble free and enjoyable time operating your layout, and just when you want it to absolutely  spot on for a requested video for a digital exhibition it all goes pear shaped. I have managed to assemble a video but it's far from perfect. The video is about 10 minutes long and can be seen using the link. Makhis is a name given to me by my Greek friends if you wonder where Makhis Video Postcards comes from.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LZ2kVUFhBY41PvJ9m4_eu6j_c0Ki-tBl/view?usp=sharing

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

They say (who ever they are) you can never have too many engines, so I've had a bit of a bodge. Still W.I.P. is a 2-4-0 built from some old Springside casting and a Hornby LMS pug. plus a cobbled together tender to become the HLVR's first wood burner. It weighs a preverbal ton and runs like a dream. Still lots to do including adding a crew.

new locomotive.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

Needed a water tank so I thought why not incorporate it with a useful building. So Leggs Boats was added with said water tank along with lobster/crab creels, net mending (fabric mesh, cotton with small beads threaded on for corks) crates and a pair of oars made from brass wire with the ends flattened by basing the hell out it with a large hammer (ears are still ringing) and marker buoys

P9230095.jpg

P9230097.jpg

P9230098.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some highly detailed, captivating and very impressive modelling  throughout this thread Mike. I think what really catches my attention as one item that shows how you really get those other details so right is how you have gone so far as to accurately model crab creels, fishing nets, crates, etc. To get over my lack of ability if I were modelling that scene I would have just modelled a tarpaulin covering everything and called it a Sunday when no work on nets was going on! Full respect for your skills! Woody

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Resurrecting an old model to form the maintenance of way train. Currently looks awful but runs  really well. I have also started but not yet finished modifying the open boat to a small inshore fishing boat. It is in primer to show up all the imperfections before continuing.

mw2301.jpg

mw2302.jpg

IMG-2297.jpg

IMG-2298.jpg

IMG-2300.jpg

• Like 11