Hookton and the Lipp Vale

Mike

Well as my open wagons for conversion to Salt wagons didn't materialise I thought why not build a bogie van. So here is an ex ABS model loosely based on a GVT  wagon. I have also decided to change from a 2 signal approach to a sort off Brown & Marshall disc as used by the Ffestiniog.

bogie van2.jpg

brown & marshall1.jpg

brown & marshall2.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

14 hours ago, Chris Williamson said:

Mike, Will the Chris Nevard photos be published anywhere?  He does take magnificent pictures!

They will hopefully be published along with an article in a future issue of Model Rail magazine.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Phase 1 almost complete if a layout is ever complete, now on to phase 2. First job will be to separate  the thread just for Hookton and then on to phase 2. This will be the Lipp stream with bridge and the station area moving on to phase 3 Parkbourne Saint Giles. Will my opus Gargantua ever be finished who knows, but at least it will keep me off the streets albeit stony broke. :crazy:

• Like 2

That drawing board takes me back!  Hard to see in the shadows but it looks just like the one I used when I started work at the tender age of 16 years old - Junior Draughtsman on the princely sum of £25 a week .  Is there a big counterbalance weight at the top of the parallelogram arm that carries the square?  Mind you, the bike I rode to work one was maroon rather than blue. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Having just acquired an almost brand new Bachmann 0n30 mogul, I needed to find an excuse to run it on Hookton. Now you have probably noticed how I tweak history, so here goes. The loco was  purchased from the Sandy River and Rangeley Rail Road, shipped to Southampton, then by Rail to The Dorset Iron Foundry in Poole. where the loco was re-gauged from 2ft to 2ft 3". The loco was then transferred by rail to Parkbourne St. Giles to access the HLVR metals. Fortunately there are no tunnels or cuttings and what earthworks there are, are fairly generous, the only real problem was the bridge over the Lipp which needed strengthening.  Now I need to tweak the model, the tender is rather plain and needs modifying, a new drawbar twixt loco and tender plus a fall-plate and some cosmetic work to improve the overall look. 

Edited by Mike
gap in text
  • Like 4

In the history of Hookton there is mention of the salt pits.  If you are producing salt you need to transport the product and what better way then by rail. Having been unable to purchase a couple of Peco wagon kits I acquired a couple of very basic 3d printed opens Brake gear was added to one side ( not enough in the scrap box to to both sides) the end altered and PlastiCard roofs added. Here is the first one underway  with still a lot of work to do, but you get the idea.

salt wagon.jpg

Edited by Mike
grammatical correction
  • Like 6

Yet another bit of history tweaking. Cancelled Australian export order from Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Co a re-gauged narrow gauge coach for the HLVR. Photo taken as it arrived and before the Loco and coach have been through the Hookton workshops. For that read Grandads Shed where things are made and mended - eventually.

BCW.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Started mucking about with the loco and tender. New pilot beam on loco, air tank with associated pipe work, electrical conduit and rear lamp on tender plus brake wheel. Chains to be fitted to bogies and a lot of cleaning up to do. Loco needs additional pipe work to air tank, electrical cable to generator and bell wire.

c161.jpg

c162.jpg

c163.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Work is a foot, well a fall-plate and air tank plumbing which is a best guess. Bell wire and head light wiring still to do but my Grandads shed is just a little on the cold side.

IMG-2351.jpg

IMG-2350.jpg

IMG-2348.jpg

Edited by Mike
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

The time has come the Walrus said to talk of many things, Panniers, Prairies, Castles and Kings. What absolute nonsense, I have actually started building the extension to Hookton which will in fact be a stand alone of Parkbourne Saint Giles that fictional terminus of the line. The baseboards are built although in a rush of blood to the head I cut the hole to the fiddle yard in the wrong end, now filled and the exit hole cut in the right end. The track plan for anyone who can remember is the same as my Lenches Bridge Layout ( Now known as Bankfield Road.) The double slip has been created by using two wye points toe to toe, well it is narrow gauge. As soon as my camera has been repaired or replaced I will upload some photos and no I haven't shelved the Central Shires Cheese Company, just taken my foot off the gas. 🙂

Edited by Mike
Missing words
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...