Swiss Rhb Nm9 Photo Plank

Gook the Goblin

• 1 month later...

As suggested to me by @JimFin wires are now up on the plank although you cant see them! The catenary masts, beam and tensioner were all 3D prints by Jim. Fitting the tensioner between the flanges of the post meant a bit of fettling one morning which was quite awkward. Masts were sprayed with grey primer, then the concrete bases were masked and the steel bits sprayed with a steel wheels spray from a motorist centre. The metal was fairly shiny so had to be tone down with a white wash and a bit of weathering. The concrete post bases and tensioner weights were painted to look like concrete - at least you can still see the tensioner weights below.

I spent a lot of time trying to make sure the masts were vertically plumb and and the beam was level and I was pleased with the results until I recognised that the live wire level looked too high at around 45mm above the rail head compared with the underside of the canopy on the shed which is at 40mm. 

I bit the bullet while the tools were still all out. Now all lowered to a live wire height of around 37.5mm above rail head. Sadly the concrete blocks and baseplates will be hidden below snow along with the imaginary earthing wires! I shall need to get all plumb again then glue up, fill drilled holes and make good the snow. I think it looks a lot better, glad I thought about it before it was all glued up.

Nigel

20210612_121212a.jpg.dd4a5174cbcacc27813ea27ed3345c47.jpg

Nigel

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, the Goblin said:

Posed outside the shed is recently completed Re-w in hardly ex works condition! One of @JimFin excelent prints.

20210706_132822.jpg.a9df58bf163a8699d327b16a49dfd1a3.jpg

Nice. I'd better get a shuffle on with finishing mine!

I really like the way your snow lies on the bank, it's very convincing.

Ian

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, the Goblin said:

New arrivals onto shed.

LuggageVanPhotshop.jpg.3eec38dde21bfaf0a16a0248eedf58b7.jpg

I'm looking forward to getting my Ds van. My Paspels layout has been in storage ever since I spent now unnecessary money on the RhB Modellbahn 3D Ds van so that's a bit irritating ! Nonetheless, my other even older Shapeways Ds van did form a pukka 'winter Albula' rake of EW I/II at a few shows so all is not lost.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, the Goblin said:

New arrivals onto shed.

LuggageVanPhotshop.jpg.3eec38dde21bfaf0a16a0248eedf58b7.jpg

That’s actually the first photo I’ve seen of one of these long awaited vans - very nice.

5 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

…My Paspels layout has been in storage ever since I spent now unnecessary money on the RhB Modellbahn 3D Ds van so that's a bit irritating !…

As a general point, I have a theory that manufacturers do sometimes take note of the models that pioneers such as yourself make when deciding what to invest in - over and above wishlists and Forum discussions, I think they are the best proof people really do want something.  I couldn’t know what research Kato did in this case of course, but you never know.  Just a thought, Keith.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

As a general point, I have a theory that manufacturers do sometimes take note of the models that pioneers such as yourself make when deciding what to invest in - over and above wishlists and Forum discussions, I think they are the best proof people really do want something.  I couldn’t know what research Kato did in this case of course, but you never know.  Just a thought, Keith.

All I can say is that I did have a discussion with Hiroshi Kato at one point and did discuss EW coaches...however one of the items I suggested was a curved turnout for Unitrack - not seen that yet! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...