The Keyser Mk 3/4 motor: Are they any good?

Hello all,

Ive just bought a Keyser M.R. Kirtley goods which comes with the very last rendition of the K’s motor, and I was wondering if it really is worth swapping it for a modern one? I’ve had one previously, shown below, which was a bit jumpy but that was down to the quartering being off. If I lived in the UK, I would swap it out without second thought, but motors and gearbox’s are very hard to get here in the USA.

3FFAB9A6-FF55-4D26-A5C5-4CC7EE6472A0.jpeg.cce6e9992bcb45dc87df7ebd4cf8804a.jpeg

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works

Looks like the upper part of the front molding has been removed. I have one of those but I have not run it in ages. I think they run OK but I just dug mine out and I see I made a new extended bearing at the shaft end. IIRC it didn't take long for the original bearing to wear out.

You might do better if you can replace it with a Sagami 10 x 15 if you can find one on Ebay. Unfortunately I believe Sagami is no longer in business. They made very good motors, particularly the round can ones.

The Keyser Mk 3/4 motor:   Are they any good?      

Answer  No, unless you want to power a 4 wheel railbus with it, or maybe use 4 or 6 for a B-B or C-C diesel. Gutless and the worm wheel and axle bearings wear out very quickly.   

The Mk1s and Mk2s are much better.

A heavy 0-6-0 really needs a substantial motor if it is to pull trains, most of the small motor gearbox units are fine for hauling 2 coaches or sitting in display cabinets but don't last long pulling the sort of trains I like to run.

• 3 weeks later...