Mystery Wagons 1949

Could anyone identify the wagons in the attached photo ? I can identify the loco and the location, Whitehaven, which is one of the Shropshire quarries in the Porth-y-waen / Nantmawr area but not the wagons.

I am currently building an EM gauge model based on the area, 1950's era, which is around when the photo was taken in 1949.

I initially thought these were ex NER/LNER 21T wooden hoppers with the very high sides, however the strapping and general profile don't look right. They may of course be 'specials' just built for internal use or modified 7/8 planks ?

Thanks in advance !

Pete.

PS I would credit the photo copyright if I knew who it was ! Maybe a local history website ?

1949 train coming out of whitehaven quarry - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Plenty XPO minerals with coke rails about in those days, but I can’t think of reason for them at a limestone quarry.  Industrial scale lime kilns burning coke perhaps?

This is very possible, and they do look like coke wagons, so not actually for quarry use

The other photos I have from around that time all show either 'standard' minerals or early pattern hopper wagons for moving the stone. There were certainly large lime kilns in

the area but I thought they were out of use by the time this photo was taken.

• RMweb Gold

Coke raves on RCH mineral wagon designs modified for carrying coke instead of coal were used because coke is lighter than coal and thus takes more volume at the same weight compared to coal, a matter of maximising the payload of the wagon.  I believe some wagons had removable raves and could be used in either role, but you couldn’t carry coal in a coke wagon because, apart from the possibility of overloading the wagon, the loading equipment at the collieries would damage the raves. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Coke wagons. This and other useful photos appear in Mike Lloyd's Tanat Valley book. I haven't got my copy with me at the moment, but judging from the pic these are mostly permanent coke wagons, rather than convertible ones. RCH allowed for fixed or removeable ones in the 1923 spec. 

3 hours ago, doilum said:

The date might be the clue. A shortage of wagons resulting in modified coke wagons being used for coal or stone. Common sense applied to avoid overloading?

Yes I hadn't thought of that - just post war there would have been a shortage of wagons resulting in re-deployments.

Thanks,

Pete.

32 minutes ago, Quarryscapes said:

Coke wagons. This and other useful photos appear in Mike Lloyd's Tanat Valley book. I haven't got my copy with me at the moment, but judging from the pic these are mostly permanent coke wagons, rather than convertible ones. RCH allowed for fixed or removeable ones in the 1923 spec. 

Agreed and it's obvious now ! Guess these were re-deployed then for carrying quarry stone, unless there was a demand for coke (or coal) at the quarries ?

Thanks

Pete.

I think I've seen that photo credited as being taken at a couple of locations including, in reverse, at Minera.   IMHO they're definitely coke wagons - but are we certain it is taken at Porth-y-waen?  What is the structure top right?  Locos of that type were, I believe, shedded at Oswestry - but also at Croes Newydd.  Pity the number isn't readable.

Interesting that you're building a layout based on the area.  It's somewhere I've always had an interest in, especially as we lived in Oswestry 1970/71 and I often cycled up and down the Tanat valley.  Can you provide any details on your project?

24 minutes ago, purplepiepete said:

Agreed and it's obvious now ! Guess these were re-deployed then for carrying quarry stone, unless there was a demand for coke (or coal) at the quarries ?

Thanks

Pete.

Definitely carrying coke for the kilns, stone went out in open wagons, lime for agricultural use either in peak roofed wagons or sheeted opens.  If you haven't already, get hold of Mike Lloyd's tanat valley book and Private Owners on the Cambrian. Loads of photos and some drawings.

12 minutes ago, 5050 said:

I think I've seen that photo credited as being taken at a couple of locations including, in reverse, at Minera.   IMHO they're definitely coke wagons - but are we certain it is taken at Porth-y-waen?  What is the structure top right?  Locos of that type were, I believe, shedded at Oswestry - but also at Croes Newydd.  Pity the number isn't readable.

Interesting that you're building a layout based on the area.  It's somewhere I've always had an interest in, especially as we lived in Oswestry 1970/71 and I often cycled up and down the Tanat valley.  Can you provide any details on your project?

Locomotive is 1331, ex Whitland & Cardigan railway, thoroughly molested at Swindon, which was shedded at Oswestry for work on the Porthywaen branch throughout the 40s. I'd say it's certainly in the vicinity of Porthywaen, though the quarry lines are so extensive where precisely I cannot say! 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Quarryscapes said:

Definitely carrying coke for the kilns, stone went out in open wagons, lime for agricultural use either in peak roofed wagons or sheeted opens.  If you haven't already, get hold of Mike Lloyd's tanat valley book and Private Owners on the Cambrian. Loads of photos and some drawings.

Locomotive is 1331, ex Whitland & Cardigan railway, thoroughly molested at Swindon, which was shedded at Oswestry for work on the Porthywaen branch throughout the 40s. I'd say it's certainly in the vicinity of Porthywaen, though the quarry lines are so extensive where precisely I cannot say! 

Interestingly the photo caption, which I now have from the link sent by petethemole, specifies a stone train ! Screen shot as here. Could well be a mistake of course as it must have been awkward unloading stone from coke wagons ! I think the older traditional kilns had ceased operations in the 1920's / 30's however I may be wrong. Not sure if the more modern types were coke fired ? Given access problems to the area from the former Cambrian and Potts lines it seems unlikely that large quantities of coke would have been brought in by rail.

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 16.52.56.png

3 hours ago, 5050 said:

The original photo specifies 'Whitehaven' (probably Pear Tree) quarry, and I think I have identified the location. On the screen shot attached (copyright 'old-maps') I believe the bridge carries the tramway over the line. The layout is in the early stages, and will only be a shelf layout, but I have turnouts built and plain track on the go. It will be more of a finescale representation of the area rather than a specific location as I don't have the space to do this. Will post some pics in a month or two. I live in the Clwydian Range so not too far away, although little to see now other than a short restored section at Nantmawr.

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 17.13.08.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Porcy Mane said:

I think it's this bridge. The one shown on your map was more of a short cut and cover tunnel.

Coke-1949-Map1925.jpg.c7e6b4d1afa3d439f892f7831bf51f56.jpg

Ah yes - that looks more like it although the photo only shows a single track. However given the much later date (assume the map is much earlier) then this is possible.

Complex and confusing arrangement of track work ! Hard to say which is tramway and which is std gauge !

Cheers, Pete

• Agree 1