Electric trains from Bishops Lydeard

• RMweb Gold

Battery-electric trains have run elsewhere on the planet for years, but reliably powering a high-performance EMU is a bit different. Battery technology has never had so much attention as now, but I fear this is a bit of a dream at this stage. 

Especially when they want to throw in green technology to generate the additional power - solar panels and wind farms around Bishops Lydeard - I wonder how the locals will feel about that side of it.

But maybe what they are hoping is they can make a case for someone to use them as a proving ground for the technology rather than one of the existing rail routes.

In the image it's an Electrostar style unit, I think they need to be thinking more along the lines of ex Underground units

• Like 1

Having been responsible for compiling customer information on the operation of a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle until comparatively recently I am somewhat sceptical of the claim that an "ultra-rapid electric charger" would be used "several times a day" without severely compromising the life of the battery packs, unless such technology advances considerably from where it is at the moment. The occasional use of rapid chargers for vehicles is fine (e.g. at services on motorway journeys) but constant use is not recommended.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2