Teignmouth and Dawlish station sidings

KeithMacdonald

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, bgman said:

Maybe this link would be of some help ?

https://maps.nls.uk/view/106005188

G

Agree - Dawlish had a goods yard and a goods shed.  the station closed to goods, including - unusually - Coal Class traffic on 17 May 1965 and the yard sidings  were taken out of use on 22  August that year.  The yard area was converted into a car park in 1968 or thereabouts.

Teignmouth, which of course also had a goods shed and yard., was closed to goods in June 1965 but the yard on the Up side remained open for Coal Class traffic until December 1967.  Teignmouth Old Town Quay ceased to be rail connected from 5 December 1967 brining to an end its involvement in coal traffic for Newton Abbot power station and china clay for shipment. 

Edited by The Stationmaster
Typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I’ve seen a photo of Dawlish Warren with one van sitting in it. The rest of the goods yard was of course full of camping coaches. I’m not sure whether the van was related to goods traffic or just a storage place for the camping coaches.

sorry that doesn’t help much.

• RMweb Gold

Dad's albums have two or three photos of goods trains passing through Dawlish, in the late '50s & 60s, but none showing any of the sidings. You can see them in this album on my photosharing pages. http://www.ipernity.com/search/photo?opt=&q=Dawlish&w=364457&t=0&lic=&s=0

All at an oblique angle but you might be able to see something of interest.

Edited by phil_sutters
Additional info
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

@Chris M

Thanks, Dawlish Warren is well-pictured with camping coaches.

It's Dawlish and Teignmouth station sidings I'm after.

The best source I know of is Peter Kay's excellent tome ' Exeter - Newton Abbot A Railway History'. It contains 4 good pictures of traffic in Dawlish goods yard;  three of the two yards at Teignmouth station;  and seven views which include various wagons at Teignmouth Old Quay.  If you are interested in this stretch of railway it is without a doubt the definitive book on the subject, scholarly, well written, and well illustrated.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/exeter-newton-abbot-a-railway-history/

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Thanks Mike. Don't suppose you remember what kind of vans?

Sorry, no. It was the best part of half a century ago . As far as I can remember they were just ordinary vans. It was the fact they were marooned that caught my attention.

• Thanks 1

I've found another stray image on Flickr, with a green Warship, dated "Dec 1966". Not sure what that coach or wagon is in the siding. Is that a set of steps on the right of it? If it was at Dawlish Warren most of us would assume it was a camping coach, but not sure that could be correct in this location. Any ideas?

Warship-Dawlish Dec 1966

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I've found another stray image on Flickr, with a green Warship, dated "Dec 1966". Not sure what that coach or wagon is in the siding. Is that a set of steps on the right of it? If it was at Dawlish Warren most of us would assume it was a camping coach, but not sure that could be correct in this location. Any ideas?

Warship-Dawlish Dec 1966

Probably some form of Engineer's mess coach.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

There is a 1959 photo of Dawlish in the  Bradford Barton book 'More Great Western Steam' in Devon with 92203 passing. There are one or two vanfits in the distance in the siding behind the up platform, a 5 plank open stood by the dock, and possibly a 16t coal wagon or two on the blocks of that siding,

cheers

• Like 1

Past and Present No.8 Devon by David Mitchell page 95 has a photo dated 24 April 1965, not long before the yard closed. D6330 stands at the head of an engineers train including sided sturgeons loaded with spoil in behind the platform. There is a van and a couple of other open wagons on the blocks near the yard gate. Interestingly there is a coach in the short right hand siding, though not the one seen above as the roof vents are on the other side.

cheers  

• Like 1

Just as a matter of curiosity does the line from the double slip ( to the bottom right of the above photographs ) lead to a stop block ? 

It appears to end just beneath the over bridge on the 1934 OS map.

G

10 hours ago, Rivercider said:

Past and Present No.8 Devon by David Mitchell page 95 has a photo dated 24 April 1965, not long before the yard closed. D6330 stands at the head of an engineers train including sided sturgeons loaded with spoil in behind the platform. There is a van and a couple of other open wagons on the blocks near the yard gate. Interestingly there is a coach in the short right hand siding, though not the one seen above as the roof vents are on the other side.

cheers  

I was going to mention this photo as it also appears in Modern Locomotives Illustrated No 197 on the NBL Type 2s - I hadn't even realised there were once sidings here until I saw that.

However the combination of headcode boxes, yellow panel shape, OHLE flash positions and lack of 'eyebrow' vents identify the loco as D6326, which features again a few pages further on at Paddington on ECS duties exactly one week later.

• Like 2

My Dad, whose Aunt ran a guest house in Dawlish, pre and post WW2 - he first went there circa 1932 - she ran it till the late 50s, told me the "Dawlish and Teignmouth Cliff Gang" used to use accommodation in stock stored in the siding.  Couldn't be associated with that could it ?

They also stored gear in the structures, ('buildings' doesn't seem the right word), built into the cliff face just beyond the coastguards footbridge heading toward the Langstone Rock.

I always wonder when the small pedestrian footbridge was removed which used to provide access to the sea wall from Sea Lawn Terrace.  The stumps of it were visible on the up side.  I guess it was in the 50s but have not conducted a proper study !

Best regards

Matt W

Edited by D826
Station footbridge at other end if station !
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, bgman said:

Just as a matter of curiosity does the line from the double slip ( to the bottom right of the above photographs ) lead to a stop block ? 

It appears to end just beneath the over bridge on the 1934 OS map.

G

Yes.  All the older maps show it terminating at the overbridge so it was just a relatively short spur although there was a ground disc reading back out of it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1