Teignmouth and Dawlish station sidings

KeithMacdonald

On 23/01/2021 at 00:43, bgman said:

Just as a matter of curiosity does the line from the double slip ( to the bottom right of the above photographs ) lead to a stop block ? 

It appears to end just beneath the over bridge on the 1934 OS map.

Is that what's visible on the left of this picture (of the Coastguard Footbridge) on Rail Online?

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p413695055/h863ff679#h863ff679

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just as a thought would the points at the end of the station be a crossing rather than ladder points. This would remove the facing point. 

1264321869_Screenshot2021-03-25at20_17_03.png.2200a574af0937f3ffb0b7754ab4b29b.png

• RMweb Gold

The connection at the east end of the platform was removed in early 1918.  It had been a trailing crossover between the running lines with a slip connection into the sidings.  It had replaced the previous facing connection off the Up Main into the sidings in 1901.  When this Main Lines trailing crossover was removed. a new one was provided west of the platform and, obviously there ceased to be a connection between the sidings and the Down Main..

• RMweb Gold

Britain from Above has this picture : EAW007656

image.png.d47c054255118bd7215711540f55bff6.png

If you register on the website you can zoom in very closely.

As an aside, just look at the variety of the coaches in the train. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Britain from Above has this picture : EAW007656

image.png.d47c054255118bd7215711540f55bff6.png

If you register on the website you can zoom in very closely.

As an aside, just look at the variety of the coaches in the train. 

Agreed, a fantastic variety. There appears to be a couple of 70ft coaches and a clerestory.

What a picture that aerial image is. Dawlish looking stunning.  The amusement arcade right in the centre opposite Dawlish Water has always jarred with me.  If I was able to selectively prune buildings that'd be gone, and the Beach Hotel would be back on Marine Parade.

Best regards

Matt W

That's a beautiful image.

• RMweb Premium

Does @KeithMacdonald have a specific period in mind? From anything I can see we're looking at the ordinary goods yard of a small wayside station, presumably handling the ordinary traffic of the district - typically coal, lime if there's any agriculture locally, and sundry consumables in, probably not much out. Bog standard mineral wagons, opens, and vans.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Does @KeithMacdonald have a specific period in mind? From anything I can see we're looking at the ordinary goods yard of a small wayside station, presumably handling the ordinary traffic of the district - typically coal, lime if there's any agriculture locally, and sundry consumables in, probably not much out. Bog standard mineral wagons, opens, and vans.

I suspect that there would have been very little coal coming in as much would have come by sea to Teignmouth. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1