World of Railways Virtual Show Pt. 3 - 13/14 March

AY Mod

42 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I suspect that Virtual Shows are here to stay, alongside the "real" ones. The offer something different and are developing to take on a life of their own. There's no reason we can't have both.

I'm looking forward to a blended show - where a physical event is also accompanied by online content. It's normally impossible to see all of the demos and action at a show in any case so I think there are big opportunities to develop this side.

• Agree 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

I'm looking forward to a blended show - where a physical event is also accompanied by online content. It's normally impossible to see all of the demos and action at a show in any case so I think there are big opportunities to develop this side.

They are more likely to remain separate. Putting all the demos etc. online would cost a lot of money (unless filming, editing etc. was free) and result in a lower attendance as people decided to stay at home and watch it on the telly - so costs go up, income goes down. All exhibitions, even club ones, are commerical. You can't go into them planning for a massive loss, no matter how impressive a performance you put on.

Virtual shows offer something real ones don't - all the interviews you've seen this weekend. You can do some of that at a real show, the MRC do at Ally Pally, but most people are busy checking out the trade or layouts to want to watch someone talking.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Thank you for your involvement too this weekend Jam; I have a huge amount of respect for you, your approach and attitude. Love it!

I knew someone would notice! It was just down to time/panic influences.

It's been my pleasure! RMweb as a collective has helped me grow as a modeller over the years, the least I could do is it pay forward. And besides, I'm really enjoying producing the content I do. It also gives me a chance to try different techniques, and perhaps show people different ways of thinking.

I was trying to work out yesterday what was missing from the show, took me until today to realise it was the puzzles. I don't know why I liked doing them so much to be honest, but I did! Still very much enjoyed the fiendish spot-the-differences (although I actually managed to find all of them this time, unlike the last!)

17 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

There's a jigsaw puzzle in the Kids Zone!

What are you trying to suggest? :lol:
OK, yes, I'm a child at heart!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks to Andy, Phil and everyone who made this show so good.

It was enlightening to see the overall, massive footprint of Graham Nicholas' work-in-progess layout and I was delighted to see Bournemouth West take a top prize!:)

Brian

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, MyRule1 said:

Was it just me and my device but the closed captions on the Simon Kohler interview were in Dutch. Made for interesting reading.

Nothing had been set and YouTube thought it knew best. I've given it a kick.

• RMweb Gold

It's nearly over and I still cant think of a caption for the beach scene !!!

Virtual Show?

Very good, but I do use it differently to a "visit-able" show.

For real shows, I go to look at the layouts but rarely do I have any intention of going because of a particular layout that is booked.

I also go for the Trade Stands because I can browse physically, with my hands, as well as my eyes! I buy a lot of stuff this way.

For the Virtual Shows, (there's been a few now), I watch / interact for much much longer than the 1.5 to 2.5 hours I would attend a real show.

I have even bought some stuff today - some CDUs - but the real advantage is the interviews, product announcements, competitions, and awards.

I have enjoyed the whole thing, spent some money and learnt a little too.

Thanks for the obvious huge and quality effort put in by all for us moaning ne'er-do-gooders!

:)

Kev.

(One happy punter!)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Really enjoyable and varied content for the virtual show .... thanks to all those that have been involved with creating, collecting and publishing the interesting content.

I still have a few of the articles to read and watch so will do that this evening after walking the dogs in this miserable weather!

• Thanks 2

Excellent show well done Phil and Andy, along with the behind the scenes, for setting this up. The last physical shows I attended were Warley 2019 and Stevenage 2020 and this was a much more relaxing event. Also you can always have a second view through buying the Show Guide, which I purchased.

The two things missing are the stalls from the smaller suppliers where you can see, sometimes feel and test items before purchase. My local shows have a number of traders who regularly attend with second hand goods and shows are preferable to online auction sites. The other is the chance to chat with those giving demonstrations. I remember the gentleman at Stevenage who gave me plenty of time to talk over the use of cutting machines (I think he is on RMweb), also talking to Tony Wright about, what for him, must have been a simple question. Perhaps there could be a premium version of the show when you get a few minutes with an expert through Zoom.

Lastly you don't run into people you have not seen for some time, at Stevenage I met someone who I have not seen for 10 years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I really enjoyed the variety, thanks to all for a good show - not least the BRM team,  I don't know how you find the time.

That introductory sequence in the Barmouth Junction video was just brilliant! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

I don't know how you find the time.

I'm not sure we know either! A career in the circus as jugglers awaits us. The problem is, like all modellers, we are not short on ideas, just the time to do them all.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to all those who have been involved in the creation of yet another enjoyable event. I've enjoyed it, though my wife may have something to say later about the extra time she had with the children today, whoops.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

I think I've looked at probably 80% or so of the content, it's an amazing amount to digest in one weekend, but I think I've seen most of what interests me; not dissimilar from 'real' exhibitions! The only problem I have with virtual shows is that I've just finished writing a 1400 word report on the show, but I have no photos to go alongside it...!

• Thanks 2

Well done to Andy n Phil for the weekend.  I doubt if we know just how much time and effort goes into the production for such an event.  More so in these difficult times

A big thank you.  Alisdair

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

but I have no photos to go alongside it

If only you knew a tame mag snapper who would be quite happy to let you use his if you wish.  ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

If only you knew a tame mag snapper who would be quite happy to let you use his if you wish.  ;)

Good point...
Please, sir! Can I have some photos? :lol:
It did cross my mind, but I didn't really want to bother you considering how busy you've been!

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, ardbealach said:

Well done to Andy n Phil for the weekend.  I doubt if we know just how much time and effort goes into the production for such an event.  More so in these difficult times

A big thank you.  Alisdair

Much appreciated, but both Andy and I will tell you Debbie and Howard put just as many hours in as we did. Each show is very much a team effort over many weeks. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1