3 wire( with Frog) from point to control a 2 wire signal ?

40034_Nick

Is there any way of controlling a 2 wire ground signal to change on a electro frog point change?

So the track power from the point/track(2 wires) and the polarity from the frog( 1 wire of course) to go to the 2 wire signal so it changes the signal on point switch. 

In this case a am using a ESU switchpilot extension connected to a Switchpilotservo for switching the points.

That gadget does not work from the point frog wire it works of the pulses that would go to a point solenoid.. It would be easy to do what you want with a 3 wire signal. With a 2 wire signal I would drive a DPDT relay from the frog wire. (12V relay with diode in series connected from frog to either stockrail). The relay contacts can then be used to provide a reversing supply to the signal. Relays around £2 from the likes of Rapid Electronics CPC etc.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Grovenor said:

That gadget does not work from the point frog wire it works of the pulses that would go to a point solenoid.. It would be easy to do what you want with a 3 wire signal. With a 2 wire signal I would drive a DPDT relay from the frog wire. (12V relay with diode in series connected from frog to either stockrail). The relay contacts can then be used to provide a reversing supply to the signal. Relays around £2 from the likes of Rapid Electronics CPC etc.

I can assure you 100% that they do work and you do not need relays or anything else when used with the appropriate decoder or even a switch.

You simply connect the DC positive line into the centre and switch the negative from side to side using the frog polarity switch. the will cause the out to swap over pos/neg to neg/pos which is what you need for the ground signal.

If your decoder outputs neg/pos/neg and is configurable to constant output e.g. for LED signal then you can simply connect directly to it.

1 hour ago, WIMorrison said:

I can assure you 100% that they do work and you do not need relays or anything else when used with the appropriate decoder or even a switch.

You simply connect the DC positive line into the centre and switch the negative from side to side using the frog polarity switch. the will cause the out to swap over pos/neg to neg/pos which is what you need for the ground signal.

If your decoder outputs neg/pos/neg and is configurable to constant output e.g. for LED signal then you can simply connect directly to it.

I am going to test one from DCC concepts and see if it does work.. I hope it does as that will be game changing for me :-) .. 

The OP said he wanted to work it off the actual frog, using track power,not from a frog switch.

That DCC Concepts thing is just a latching relay dressed up , buy a relay from somewhere like CPC its more economical and you can do whatever you want with it. Just needs a bit more thought.

On 22/01/2021 at 21:08, Grovenor said:

The OP said he wanted to work it off the actual frog, using track power,not from a frog switch.

That DCC Concepts thing is just a latching relay dressed up , buy a relay from somewhere like CPC its more economical and you can do whatever you want with it. Just needs a bit more thought.

The DCCconcepts "thing" is not a latching relay.

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team

p.s Nick - contact us via our salesuk email regarding our adapter.

• Like 1