Unique 31 ‘s & 56

Some Class 31 oddities using the Airfix model that as rtr will probably not see the light of day from Hornby.

31/0 , 31101 with no head code at one end, 31215 with the unique paint job, and 31294  I think was the only green one to carry a tops number.A53B52EF-E766-417E-894D-464A187590AA.jpeg.59f5c09fc642ddf096329272b83f653d.jpegEC8F1A14-9667-4A57-942F-88BD4A53FBF0.jpeg.0ed745067873de9f40e6e886f8e6e2dd.jpeg9E16AC7A-2E22-48E8-9CF6-C822A1AA01C6.jpeg.024486c380f235c41fca158dd04e4f1a.jpeg

And an effort on the unique 56042...a bit of a Heinz... Hornby body, on a mainline chassis with Hornby class 58 bogie frames.. still need to sort out the steps, but it was an interesting exercise in adhesive’s and trimming.

0E2BCC9B-066E-4DA3-BA72-AAA5CA0633A8.jpeg

D8BF07EC-E468-4A6F-B9EA-537607B0169A.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi, this might help..opposite end view of 31215 with the additional lights.lots of good photos on the net depending on which colour scheme is the preference... and schoolboy error on my part in filing down the wrong head code end.

DB1578F7-0F4A-4DDF-BF44-0C9DB199CB0F.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Excellent work, you don't see too many models of 56042 and nice to find someone else who doesn't follow the herd and write off the Airfix 31.  I think it still looks superb after 40 years (and they will pull anything).

Another variant to try is the unique 31 whose original Mirrlees engine was temporarily uprated to 2000hp.  After being re-engined with the rest of the class, it kept the extra grilles required for the bigger cooler group. I think @Clive Mortimorehas made one.

3 hours ago, 47164 said:

Hi, this might help..opposite end view of 31215 with the additional lights.lots of good photos on the net depending on which colour scheme is the preference... and schoolboy error on my part in filing down the wrong head code end.

DB1578F7-0F4A-4DDF-BF44-0C9DB199CB0F.jpeg

Nice to see another 31215 from an Airfix model. Mine is one of a growing fleet of old Hornby, Mainline, Airfix and Lima models acquired as spares/repair which have been through the shops. Generally my criteria is that a model has been modified (or bodged, or damaged) already.
My version had already been modified but was numbered pre-TOPS (which predates this subject's unique cab conversion) and the roof profile wasn't entirely smooth. I also added (as have you) the very visible window washer jet covers and filed and filled the connecting door details as these were plated over by the time 31215 got its new cab. The model already had the unique headlights fitted and had been flush glazed (which doesn't look as messy as in the flash photo, but should benefit from some weathering). It still need a few other minor finishing touches too.

IMG_20210123_122632.jpg

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Excellent work, you don't see too many models of 56042 and nice to find someone else who doesn't follow the herd and write off the Airfix 31.  I think it still looks superb after 40 years (and they will pull anything).

Another variant to try is the unique 31 whose original Mirrlees engine was temporarily uprated to 2000hp.  After being re-engined with the rest of the class, it kept the extra grilles required for the bigger cooler group. I think @Clive Mortimorehas made one.

Many years ago I converted a Lima one to D5835 and have made a start on converting a super-detailed  Hornby one..................must get around to completing it!  I bought the extra grilles from Peters Spares.

IMG_2253.jpg

Edited by BrushVeteran
spelling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Ah! I have made two and both wrong.

I scratchbuilt a Brush type 2 and numbered it D5835. Feeling very proud of myself  doing so. At one show this chap said it should have the extra grilles as in BrushVeteran's photo. Well I didn't believe him as all the photos I had of it showed the normal grilles.

Then one day thumbing through a book on class 31s there was 31 302 with two sets of double grilles. Oh (not an RMweb word) !!! That geezer was right. So the then D5835 was renumbered and I set about putting the extra grilles on a Tri-ang Brush 2, both sides. Only to find out afterwards that they were only placed on one side. Checking that information was correct I then discovered the photos I used for the first version meant I had it half right as at least one side was right and the second version was half wrong as the same side was wrong. One day I will get round to removing the additional grilles on the correct side and fill the holes up.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Good work on the models. It does show that the Airfix 31 body is still worth considering for modelling purposes. The only small issue that is immediately wrong with it for me is the exhaust ports which were modelled after the ports fitted when the full-size were powered by Mirrlees engines. 

A1 models of Doncaster occasionally offer an etch of 6 rectangular exhaust ports which can be used to correct this error.

They have an Ebay account which can be found by searching on their name as a seller.

I have no connection with them, except as a customer.

20210123_145247.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

Thank you everyone, the airfix 31 is very marmite, but given proper servicing especially the bearings they will run quietly, and      With flush glazing makes an excellent model and in some aspects better than the Lima offerings which is let down by the massive coupling, one area where airfix were years ahead of the curve.

• Agree 1