L&B Parracombe Halt in 009 test build of Paul Levy kit.

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Paul contacted me through the NG forum and asked if I’d be prepared to test build his soon to be released kit for Parracombe due for release in Feb 2021. Paul supplied the kit for free but put no conditions on me as he wanted an honest test and I have no other connection apart from being a happy existing customer. 
I was happy to oblige having been impressed by his previous kits from his eBay shop. 
Bits out of the box are nice clean castings and it looks right compared to photos even in grey resin. 

Parracombe kit by Paul Levy Models

I scored round the notice boards to release them and just tidied up the edges with a file. The only other work apart from a quick wash in slightly soapy water, to remove any residue, was to restore a bit more depth to the underneath of the corrugations at the back of the asbestos roof. It only took a minute with a triangular file but useful when it will be viewed from the back. I can see why it’s less defined underneath to get reliable filling in the mould and a dead easy minor upgrade. Before on the left and after on the right.

Next job was to drill out the windows to remove the thin skin. I drilled out the centre and then filed it to shape, it files really nicely too. 

you can see the frame on the outside of the far window  

Ok main parts ready to go and these were primed with a light coat of grey. 

I based the colour on Sean Bolan’s painting in the back of the L&B Lyn Returns book. It’s painted cast concrete. 

First attempt was a bit too green

I added a coat of Tamiya Buff, you can see the other yellow on the base of the roof  

The roof is a near perfect fit and clipped on needing only tiny dabs of glue to secure it. 

Noticeboards were added to the front and posters and timetables found on the net sized and printed. I also added a few washes to simulate damp stains on the concrete. 

Well Paul wanted feedback and basically it was leave it as is! It’s a lovely fit and takes paint and glue well and an enjoyable mini project over a few evenings. 

Three years ago I’d made one of my demo modules into a WW1 display for the Signalbox window in December as I like to have a railway theme to remember the ROD & Light railway troops and do something different each year. 

Rememberance 2017

So to bring the module back into one that matches the original L&B theme I decided to use the kit to make a shorter halt for my Combe Martin branch based on Parracombe without the overbridge. 
The bank was cut away to allow room for the platform and the muddy track replaced with fresh track. 

Platform base laid in with cork with a cutout for the concrete hut base.

The edging stones appear to be stone blocks so I found some basswood of the right size and chopped it up to size. 

Parracombe kit by Paul Levy ModelsParracombe kit by Paul Levy Models

The hut was glued in with pva and fine buff ballast used for the road, platform and interior. 

Then a bit of static grass and some Ratio SR concrete fence posts. 

Ive tried to suggest a bit of verdigris on the asbestos sheeting with brown and green washes and I’m experimenting with a lichen effect to add later. 

Overall another lovely kit from Paul and useful on a host of layouts not just narrow gauge. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

Very nice.

The shelter has weathered a bit in the intervening years. Here it was in April 2019.

I had travelled from Woody Bay to Killington Lane, then walked, partly following the old track bed, into Parracombe

IMG_4069.JPG.fd1ab122c057237c1a987656a231b8fc.JPG

IMG_4070.JPG.2cbe46b4511324b4ef06c269cbc0465f.JPG

IMG_4071.JPG.1e81b5e46029e22d47948a4310f23dcb.JPG

It was blooming freezing up there that day, so a nice bowl of hot soup, and a couple of pints of cider in the Fox and Goose was very welcome before the walk and train back to Woody Bay,  9/4/2019

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/01/2021 at 15:21, PaulRhB said:

Paul supplied the kit for free but put no conditions on me as he wanted an honest test and I have no other connection apart from being a happy existing customer. 

Overall another lovely kit from Paul and useful on a host of layouts not just narrow gauge. 

Beautifully done Paul. Nice to see 763 Sid in service.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, coline33 said:

Thanks, Paul.   I discovered this before reading your post and placed an order.   I note that the Parracombe Church Lane Bridge is also now available to order.    Colin.

Ha! ;) yes I only found out when I went on to buy his Mill Lane bridge for a module I’m building. 

• Thanks 1