Buffer beam red - which colour in which range?

97xx

What is your expert opinion is the 'best' or 'closest' colour to real buffer beam red?

I've got RC406 "Buffer beam red' in Humbrol Acrylic and yet it is remarkably 'pink' to my taste.  I ended up mixing it with some RailMatch 2610 'Crimson Lake' to get a more acceptable result, but I'm hoping there is a more off-of-the-peg solution!

RailMatch apparently do 2305 'Buffer Beam red' but I see some use 2400 'Signal red'.

Thoughts fellow modellers - might it be useful to cite colour name and range so we have a database?

one would guess those who make the paints are good for expert opinions 

few points on paint 

as stated above red will fade quicker then some 

we all see paint different so when someone sees a pinker shade others may not

light will change the look of the colour so if your layout is lit then match the colour under that lighting  

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...
On 22/01/2021 at 16:59, 97xx said:

What is your expert opinion is the 'best' or 'closest' colour to real buffer beam red?

I've got RC406 "Buffer beam red' in Humbrol Acrylic and yet it is remarkably 'pink' to my taste.  I ended up mixing it with some RailMatch 2610 'Crimson Lake' to get a more acceptable result, but I'm hoping there is a more off-of-the-peg solution!

RailMatch apparently do 2305 'Buffer Beam red' but I see some use 2400 'Signal red'.

Thoughts fellow modellers - might it be useful to cite colour name and range so we have a database?

I either use Humbrol 132 which is a satin colour or my other go to is an old tin of Precision Buffer Beam Red, which is more muted and great for a weathered in look. 

Maybe try Phoenix’s latest incarnation ? 

For most applications Humbrol 174 Signal Red is good for buffer beam red. However it is not suitable for GWR or early BR(W), for this you need China Red which is quite a browny red with a bit of a pink tinge. for that you need equal parts of  Crimson Lake, Humbrol Tan (9) and Humbrol Bright Red (19).

Ian R

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Phoenix Precision do a Buffer Beam Red which looks very good to my (admittedly less expereienced than many others on here) eye...

They also do do a Buffer Beam Vermilion, which I'm using currently on a GNR loco, as that's what they specified for the beams and some of the lining.

It's been very interesting learning to distinguish these shades: to my eye, vermilion has a slightly orange tinge to it, compared to 'normal' buffer beam red - 'warmer', if I'm using that word correctly in the context of colour temperature?

• Like 1