BBC news website - train looks familiar

Darius43

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Darius43 said:

The train in the Network Rail image part way down the article looks familiar.

0F03832E-569E-41E1-9D02-82B484C63885.jpeg.6edcd957741d6051e94b1541a057e325.jpeg

I was thinking along those lines - but adding wires when reinstating the "Oxbridge" line sounds a bit too sensible.

1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

With wires when the lines will be for diesel.

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Conveniently 'political' for these areas methinks!

Especially when a number of politicians seem to have studied politics somewhere like Oxford or Cambridge.

Still, what were the alternatives - fitting wires, then refurbing the old Heathrow Express trains, instead of scrapping them?

No - somehow, I suspect they're more likely to come up with something totally inappropriate and lacking in capacity. Time will tell.

Huw.

I seem to recall when the East-West link was included in the Cameron government's rail proposals it was supposed to be electric, as it would link to the WCML, Midland Lines which were due to be electrified to Sheffield, ECML, Cambridge electrics - however electrification was the first part of the proposal to be abandoned. 

• Agree 1

Although others may know better, it does seem to me that where you are building (or re-instating) a line which is expected to have reasonable traffic levels, then if we are pursuing a low carbon agenda it may be an idea to do the electrification with the build, rather than doing it later, which must be an additional expense, but there we are. Perhaps the DfT has a version of bionic duckweed in mind (with thanks to Roger Ford)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Maybe they are seeing how well the 777s work?

Some of them are going to be able to run on battery electric so they can go to places which haven't been electrified. It's also possible that some will be modified for used with OHLE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_777

Not suggesting use them, just that by the time this is completed the technology might be there.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Well I guess it's a good thing that there's some funding coming East West Rail.  Bletchley to Bedford is my local line and I look forward to catching a train to either Oxford or Cambridge.   I just wish they'd stop faffing about and get on with it!  We're not expecting to see services to Oxford until 2025.  Goodness only knows when we can get to Cambridge.

I can see the logic of electrifying the line now but the cost is no doubt off-putting in the current climate, so I guess that's why alternative green technologies like hydrogen fuels cells or battery power look attractive.   Either way, I would be surprised to see anything different to the current Class 230s for quite some time.   I guess we might get something along the lines of the 777s for longer trips than Bletchley to Bedford.

Ralph