Good online model shops in Ireland

Vistisen

• RMweb Gold

Not wanting to get political here. But is has suddenly become harder to model British outline when you live in the EU. I have already been wacked over the head with a 20 pound handlng charge for a 15 pound for DVD ordered from Amazon uk.

I have canceled all preorders for future models from UK shops :(

But if I wanted to buy British outline items, it strikes me that Irish shops may be the way forward. What websites should I be looking at?

Edited by Vistisen

• Vistisen changed the title to Good online model shops in Ireland
2 hours ago, Vistisen said:

Not wanting to get political here. But is has suddenly become harder to model British outline when you live in the EU. I have already been wacked over the head with a 20 pound handlng charge for a 15 pound for DVD ordered from Amazon uk.

I have canceled all preorders for future models from UK shops :(

But if I wanted to buy British outline items, it strikes me that Irish shops may be the way forward. What websites should I be looking at?

Who is charging you £20?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, maico said:

Who is charging you £20?

The danish border authorities ( despite amazon having an agreement to pay VAT directly to the Danish Government, which they have at 25% I can see it on the onvoice) I have opened an offical complaint as it is not the correct way to do things. But if it is this much hassle to get things done right for a £15 DVD sent by one of the largest companies in the world... They have charged me 48 kr moms ( which is already paid) and a 160 kr administration fee. Thats £24.89 at the current exchangerate!

Edited by Vistisen
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, John Harris said:

Professor Google suggests Marks Models

I cannot recommend as I've never used them.

jch

Marks Models have a good range, although I have never used them online - only at exhibitions (Warley and Glasgow, I think) and I once visited their Dublin shop.  Modellbahn Union in Germany also stock quite a wide range of British outline OO and have a good reputation as an online seller.  Of course, you need to check if the Euro prices are similar to the Sterling ones.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just found this thread, which is also relevant for me.

My experience importing to Denmark since Jan 1st is one DVD costing ca. £9 ( less than the 80 DKK for paying moms) ordered from Amazon UK and delivered to Denmark without any extra charges. 

I also looked at Irish shops and found Marks Models. I just checked and Marks model's shipping charges start at 30 euro to Denmark while Modellbahn Union charge ca. 11 euro for shipping, something to bear in mind when considering where to buy from. Otherwise yes it has become even more difficult to model British outline here.

NP