How many people enhance RTR OO/HO coach interiors?

• RMweb Premium
On 24/01/2021 at 07:36, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Can we see some interiors please? 

Will these do?

One of my rakes is a Manchester - Southport 'Club' train which used to run in the rush hour, the real train was always packed so I've filled just about every seat with a passenger.  Quite a few limbs had to be removed to get everybody in.

IMG_1448.jpeg.609426493bcb6ad9fac42af9ab0686ef.jpegIMG_1407.jpeg.053ba5729288eef93360188f3922c905.jpeg

• Like 7

I was quite busy today one way and another, but did make some progress with the hard class sleeper

Yesterday

unpainted.jpg.dcbd79399e7b05b96c5b7aef52b066ab.jpg

Today

IMG_20210128_192136.jpg.1b762a98c5ef3475425b469146e8374e.jpg

The top tier cannot be seen through the windows and so I haven't painted them

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1

On 26/01/2021 at 18:37, Vecchio said:

Wow, so many poeple sleeping in one coach. So you need 66 little fellows and some kind of blankets. Looking forward how it comes out.

I will watch this space.

I am going to do what I always do in such circumstances - cheat!

• RMweb Premium

I've got a few pics of some of mine if you're looking for them!

I do like adding people into every carriage I give the 'once over' and painting all the seats and carpets as near as I can get to recreate the originals, even if you can't quite see inside, it's that satisfaction of just knowing everything is there!

28729733561_25f5915688_c.jpgMk3 Coach Interior by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I featured an HST I did on here many years back, approx 50% loading across the eight carriages, using those aforementioned cheap Chinese packs, then on eBay for the princely sum of 99p for 100 unpainted people, I bought a small town's worth..! :lol:

28189362484_6b1cceab59_c.jpgMk3 Coach Interior by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

28915772795_d4e6115afd_b.jpgFGW HST by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I had a go at revamping a few of the dodgy Hornby Mk2Es and after shaving off the underframes, added a few people and gave the interior a seeing to for some late 90's Virgin action!

45419512142_2a4b59d30b_k.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I couldn't resist tackling one of the Silverlink bubble cars too, cute little thing!

48771215023_d89c3a2740_k.jpgSilverlink 121027 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

48771754197_8c8faecb57_k.jpgSilverlink 121027 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

I've long wanted to do a 1990s Railtour set of Mk1s with gricers flailing out the window, plus there's a few more old Great Western HSTs to come through my workbench on the usual pages in due course and these will be fun to populate, I might do an evening rush hour one with standing room only!

Cheers,

James

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

Seeing single colour moulded plastic carriage interiors has always bugged me!  Even in the 70s I used to paint the seats in my Hornby Mk2s.

TBH I don't go to too much trouble but just a bit of different colour makes all the difference.  I don't bother with passengers as I like to park my carriages in the sidings as ECS. 

Here's a Bachmann Mk1 FK  - a quick job.  Seats matt dark blue, antimacassar's in white, a splash of orange for the curtains - plus strips of kitchen foil for the mirrors! 

All rather crude I know, compared with others' fine work above!

PICT0272.JPG

PICT0277.JPG

• Like 12

I'm still in the experimental phase of coach lighting and interiors (the camera has made this brighter than in situ). 

_1150180.JPG.fe3af72cbba54b205a676035681f8dde.JPG

Just basic painting of the interior but I've added some mesh in my brake coaches which I think looks a bit better (with or without light) than the solid offerings Bachmann does.

Wil

• Like 10

On 26/01/2021 at 09:40, Waverley West said:

As an added touch, I like to fit a window-hanging gricer at the window just behind the loco in some of my coaches...

I like the idea of having some open windows in the doors with some people gawping out.  A few photos of prototype coaches I've found online show door windows down, and some people looking through, even with heads part-way out.  I'm using the Bachmann GWR Collett 60' coaches, which have quite a distinctive red edge around the window frame.  I haven't worked out how to replicate an open window yet, and certainly not without trashing the coach bodywork.  If I can work that out, there will be some summer air flowing through those corridors and a few casual figures staring into the middle distance.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

Just basic painting of the interior but I've added some mesh in my brake coaches which I think looks a bit better (with or without light) than the solid offerings Bachmann does.

Wil

Where did you source the mesh from? Looks very convincing.

Alasdair

I sourced from 4D Model shop and just cut to size; then did a crude door frame from plastikard strips and spray with Halfords Primer 

994999813_2021-01-3116_35_46.jpg.bba66597f3f50dc20f29f3e6a12a94e3.jpg

Hopefully this shot of a Mk1 helps. I'll probably try and make a better go at the door frame next time!

_1140868.JPG.7d19b6d7f8eb7ab765d1757962ec7745.JPG

Will

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 29/01/2021 at 23:33, James Makin said:

I've got a few pics of some of mine if you're looking for them!

I do like adding people into every carriage I give the 'once over' and painting all the seats and carpets as near as I can get to recreate the originals, even if you can't quite see inside, it's that satisfaction of just knowing everything is there!

28729733561_25f5915688_c.jpgMk3 Coach Interior by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I featured an HST I did on here many years back, approx 50% loading across the eight carriages, using those aforementioned cheap Chinese packs, then on eBay for the princely sum of 99p for 100 unpainted people, I bought a small town's worth..! :lol:

28189362484_6b1cceab59_c.jpgMk3 Coach Interior by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

28915772795_d4e6115afd_b.jpgFGW HST by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I had a go at revamping a few of the dodgy Hornby Mk2Es and after shaving off the underframes, added a few people and gave the interior a seeing to for some late 90's Virgin action!

Loftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I couldn't resist tackling one of the Silverlink bubble cars too, cute little thing!

Silverlink 121027 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

Silverlink 121027 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

I've long wanted to do a 1990s Railtour set of Mk1s with gricers flailing out the window, plus there's a few more old Great Western HSTs to come through my workbench on the usual pages in due course and these will be fun to populate, I might do an evening rush hour one with standing room only!

Cheers,

James

You used cut down Hornby Mk3 interiors with the eight table/72 seat layout and only four airline seats per coach? Did they fit inside with the Lazerglaze flushglazed windows installed? I've cut down the vestibules on some recovered Hornby interiors from my Virgin XC HST to cascade into my blue/grey HST trailers as that seat layout is correct for the as built HSTs until the first refurbishment in the mid 1980's but they feel quite snug in the Lima bodyshells leaving insufficient room for the Lazerglaze.

See this thread for the source of correct layout innards for the TS vehicles in the Great Western HSTs...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

You used cut down Hornby Mk3 interiors with the eight table/72 seat layout and only four airline seats per coach? Did they fit inside with the Lazerglaze flushglazed windows installed? I've cut down the vestibules on some recovered Hornby interiors from my Virgin XC HST to cascade into my blue/grey HST trailers as that seat layout is correct for the as built HSTs until the first refurbishment in the mid 1980's but they feel quite snug in the Lima bodyshells leaving insufficient room for the Lazerglaze.

See this thread for the source of correct layout innards for the TS vehicles in the Great Western HSTs...

Lovely stuff, cheers for the link, I do like those coaches!

From memory (this was 2014!) I took a minidrill grinder to the offending bits of seat that fouled the Lazerglaze and then patch-painted in the remains, as per usual it was a right bodge haha! I've got a few more Great Western and a pair of VXC sets in the pipeline for use on the big layout so when the time comes, your interiors look very handy! 

Cheers,

James

10 hours ago, David_Belcher said:

On the subject of extra detail for coaches, can anyone help with suggestions for 4mm table lamps?

Thanks,

David

Try a box of brass panel or escutcheon pins, flat or round head. About £6 a box. 

• Like 1