GWR/Express Dairy Milk Tank query

Hi all,

I'm trying to build a number of GWR milk tanks for a milk train. I've got some really nice tank owner plates from Rumney Models and I want to get the wagon as correct as possible.

Luckily, there is a photo in GW Wagons Appendix by Russell of the very wagon - but when built.  It had vertical sections between the solebars and the base of the tank with the number, G W and tare weight.  This doesn't appear on many later tank types.

1. Do the vertical 'boards' stay the whole life of the wagon?

2. Which side if the ladder did Express Dairy put their plates? 

Thanks

Will

The GWR built several diagrams of milk tanker for Express Dairies, O42, O52, O54 and O64. Express Dairies seemed to favour the ladder mounted centrally with the nameplates to the left. Diagram O54 at least seems to have done without the plate and just had the text painted on the tank side.

3000-gallon-milk-tank-no-1970-express-da

Diagram O42 were similar when new.

9116613_450_450_81368_0_fill_0_19ba0c991

I suspect that the nameplates were added later on after the tanks were pooled during WW2. All the tanks that I can positively identify as Express Dairy tanks seem to have the nameplates mounted at the left hand end. There are other tanks that have them mounted on the right hand end but these are either Unigate or unidentifiable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Will, is this going to be a DC braked example, would be interested to hear how you are tackling it if that’s the case 

I'm planning to carve off the long levers and add some spare dc levers and v hangers from kits. It won't be perfect but hopefully it'll pass the 3' rule!

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, WillCav said:

I'm planning to carve off the long levers and add some spare dc levers and v hangers from kits. It won't be perfect but hopefully it'll pass the 3' rule!

I’ve had much the same thoughts, so will look forward to seeing how you get on.  I will need to do at least one.  (As well as adding a couple of the road trailers)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karhedron said:

I suspect that the nameplates were added later on after the tanks were pooled during WW2. All the tanks that I can positively identify as Express Dairy tanks seem to have the nameplates mounted at the left hand end. There are other tanks that have them mounted on the right hand end but these are either Unigate or unidentifiable.

Thanks Karhedron,

Left hand side it is then.

20 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I’ve had much the same thoughts, so will look forward to seeing how you get on.  I will need to do at least one.  (As well as adding a couple of the road trailers)

I've had a go. It was one of the Lima ones and the plastic was quite easy to carve. I used a craft knife and files.  I added some plasticard straps over the tank. Here's the result - still need to put some transfers on and weather it.

20210124_155936.jpg.c55e9cba684cb2792598087d159df963.jpg

The DC brake gear was a spare Parkside one that I saved when I built a Z2 as a Z3 with Morton brake.

It's not anywhere as detailed as the brass kits but hopefully gives the impression of a different milk tank.

Will

• Like 3
  • Agree 1