Fishplates to join C&L Bullhead flexible track

4railsman

I'm having extreme difficulty in finding suitable fishplates (aka rail joiners) to suit C&L Finescale bullhead rail flexible track.

Have tried to use the Peco SL10 but these are too tight despite trying to open them out slightly; although they do fit the Peco SL-E791BH Medium Radius, Right Hand Bullhead Turnouts that I have bought.

What do other forum members use to join their bullhead section flexible track?

4railsman

You might want to source some of these which fit code 125 rail really well. Don’t be put off by the HO labelling!

I bought some on UK eBay.

Dave

1257511350_Atlasjoiners.jpeg.604faae7bb9be059c5187323420fc478.jpeg

Edited by daifly
  • Informative/Useful 1

C & L have brass  and plastic mouldings, both like 12" - 1' fishplates. Solder the brass one,glue the plastic.It's a bit fiddly,but improves the appearance of the track panels no end. Speaking as a satisfied customer.

atb

Phil

Edited by 34006
Punctuation!

Or simply slip them over the ends of the rail, don’t solder or glue.  Do need to ensure the rail end is burr-free, or they don’t fit.

Or cheat with the plastic ones, partially cut the rail head, cut the plastic fishplate moulding in half and glue it in the web only on the visible side of rail, saves on droppers, saves on fishplates.

atb

Simon

On 23/01/2021 at 23:31, daifly said:

You might want to source some of these which fit code 125 rail really well. Don’t be put off by the HO labelling!

49805E9D-7CAF-4415-A095-94E3D47E88C5.jpeg.3769733fac74bec2cbfd70c5a029449b.jpeg

I bought some on UK eBay.

Dave

Thanks for this suggestion.  When I can find a uk stockist of these rail joiners, I'll give them a try. Besides Ebay which you mentioned, Gaugemaster also distribute them, but they too are also out of stock at present.

On 24/01/2021 at 08:54, woodyfox said:

I opened out Peco and Hornby OO fishplates using a small screwdriver to use as joiners/pivots on turnout blades. 

I have already tried opening the Peco SL10 with small screwdrivers including those in a jewelers set. The metal is very hard to adjust by this method, hence the need to find a practical alternative.

The C&L flexible track I have was from the Bristol C&L that I obtained at a local exhibition, so current stock on sale might possibly be of a different rail section. I have tried to look at the current C&L website but it is very poorly designed and have not been able to see details or indeed, any dimensional information of the rail sections they are using.

4railsman

On 24/01/2021 at 09:14, Gordon A said:

Peco code 75 fishplates work. They are a tight fit.

I used Peco code 75 fishplates on my 4mm trackwork and still have some in my spares box. These are far too small and certainly will never be suitable for use with O-gauge C&L flexible track. I did try them after reading  your post, in case they could be the answer, but unfortunately not so.

4railsman

5 hours ago, 4railsman said:

I used Peco code 75 fishplates on my 4mm trackwork and still have some in my spares box. These are far too small and certainly will never be suitable for use with O-gauge C&L flexible track. I did try them after reading  your post, in case they could be the answer, but unfortunately not so.

4railsman

Sorry, I missed that this thread was about 7mm scale.

5 hours ago, 4railsman said:

I have already tried opening the Peco SL10 with small screwdrivers including those in a jewelers set. The metal is very hard to adjust by this method, hence the need to find a practical alternative.

The C&L flexible track I have was from the Bristol C&L that I obtained at a local exhibition, so current stock on sale might possibly be of a different rail section. I have tried to look at the current C&L website but it is very poorly designed and have not been able to see details or indeed, any dimensional information of the rail sections they are using.

4railsman

There was a message on their website about brand new tooling for their bullhead rail, I don't think anyone Peco included who publish their technical drawings. If we are talking about the 00 gauge flexitrack, there is a new track base which has been available for 6+ months which has thicker bases (1.6 mm) and is available in single line and main line versions, as pointed out C&L has a new functional H section fishplate, either normal or reinforced,

1 hour ago, hayfield said:

If we are talking about the 00 gauge flexitrack, there is a new track base which has been available for 6+ months which has thicker bases (1.6 mm) and is available in single line and main line versions, as pointed out C&L has a new functional H section fishplate, either normal or reinforced,

No, John, as this is posted in the 7mm forum it is clearly O-gauge Bullhead Rail flexible track I was referring to. The Peco SL-E791BH point I originally quoted is also an O-gauge product, so I can't see how you thought I was referring to OO-gauge.

My box of O-gauge flexible track was made/distributed by the original (ie not the current owner) of C&L who were then based in Bristol and which I bought from them at a stand at a local model railway exhibition (remember them?) some while ago.

4railsman

Just to elaborate on my earlier post, I have taken a photo of the rail joiners that I referred to earlier. I emphasise that these are FUNCTIONAL fishplates not the easily-obtained ABS or brass COSMETIC offerings from C&L and Exactoscale. They fit superbly and are inconspicuous too.

IMG_4259.jpg.c22f9dbf3edb345551d5cd599c2da3b1.jpg

A tad too long so, fit to one rail, cut to length with side-cutters, push further onto the rail to re-open slot, job done!

Dave

Edited by daifly
caps

Thanks Dave for taking the trouble to elaborate and also illustrate how the Atlas rail joiners fit this bullhead rail. They look superb and just what I need ~ I certainly didn't want cosmetic rail joiners.

Much appreciated.

Brian (aka 4railsman)

14 hours ago, 4railsman said:

No, John, as this is posted in the 7mm forum it is clearly O-gauge Bullhead Rail flexible track I was referring to. The Peco SL-E791BH point I originally quoted is also an O-gauge product, so I can't see how you thought I was referring to OO-gauge.

My box of O-gauge flexible track was made/distributed by the original (ie not the current owner) of C&L who were then based in Bristol and which I bought from them at a stand at a local model railway exhibition (remember them?) some while ago.

4railsman

Sorry

A whole new range of parts are planned, new 3 bolt chairs are available with L1 and J chairs alone with functional fishplates, a new 2 bold sprue is following hot on its heals, no doubt the 7 mm track will be updated at some time as the 4mm trach have been. As far as rail is concerned like the 4mm scale the 7mm has also been revised to a more scale product.

• 3 months later...
On 25/01/2021 at 12:20, 4railsman said:

Thanks for this suggestion.  When I can find a uk stockist of these rail joiners, I'll give them a try. Besides Ebay which you mentioned, Gaugemaster also distribute them, but they too are also out of stock at present.

After waiting for new stocks to arrive in UK, I now have received these fishplates from Gaugemaster and I can wholeheartedly recommend them. Well worth the wait and now recommencing my foray into 0-gauge with renewed vigour!

Many many thanks to daifly for posting the details of the Atlas #170 rail joiners (see post of 23 January 2021.

• Like 1

On 26/01/2021 at 10:47, hayfield said:

Sorry

A whole new range of parts are planned, new 3 bolt chairs are available with L1 and J chairs alone with functional fishplates, a new 2 bold sprue is following hot on its heals, no doubt the 7 mm track will be updated at some time as the 4mm trach have been. As far as rail is concerned like the 4mm scale the 7mm has also been revised to a more scale product.

C&L have now a new range of 7mm scale parts

With regard to this thread, 2 styles of functional fishplates which act as rail joiners, one iw where there are equal numbers of standard and reinforced fishplates

https://www.clfinescale.co.uk/online-store/FISH-PLATES-PLASTIC-NEW-7MM-H-SECTION-TWO-TYPES-p260192677

The other is a pack of standard fishplates

There are new chairs for both the standard S1 3 bolt chairs and the 2 bolt GWR chairs. These new sprues now include L1 (bridge chairs as well as J (joint) chairs and fishplates

https://www.clfinescale.co.uk/online-store/3-BOLT-CHAIRS-7MM-PACK-350-NEW-14-Chair-Sprue-plus-2-Fish-plates-10-Standard-chairs-2-L1-Chairs-2-S1J-Chairs-Rail-Joint-2-Fish-plates-p223270928

As with the other range of chairs and parts, brass versions will be available, test samples are to hand but I am not certain when these will become available

14 minutes ago, hayfield said:

C&L have now a new range of 7mm scale parts

With regard to this thread, 2 styles of functional fishplates which act as rail joiners, 

I very much doubt that tiny, lightweight, plastic fishplates could ever be anything but cosmetic. Their ability to keep two rail ends aligned (e.g. on a curve) would be a triumph of optimism over mechanics. At best, they will look the part and keep adjacent rail lengths insulated from each other. Functional they ain't!

Dave

Dave

Firstly have you tried these, they are far more robust than the 4mm versions. But then they do not need to be that strong. The strength comes from attaching the sleepers / timbers to the base board and the chairs which hold the rail to the sleepers/timbers, The plastic fishplates just need to hold the track in place until the glue sets. Many have been using the smaller and much weaker 4 mm scale fishplates for years without any issues

As it happens the 7mm scale items are quite robust, as you say they look superb, far better than any rail joiners. Plus you have the benefit that they can act as rail insulators. If you want something stronger cast metal versions are/will be available, I have seen samples cast in nickel silver, but they may be in brass 

As for whether they work it would be wise to test them out rather than make an incorrect assumption. The Exactoscale version has been in used successfully for many years

• Agree 1