A diorama for taking photographs.

I've just been out and braved the cold to take a few more pictures.

dio1.jpg.5ac7a90bff5173c9f0b2de708b8c011e.jpg

This is my diorama, four feet long and sufficiently generic to be used for all sorts of stock and any period. 

dio5.jpg.722e9a1875a3f67fef8c743965615c3f.jpg

dio4.jpg.d16bb0ddbf56fe5f713c296cd8d7e0e7.jpg

From the 1960's to the 1880's....

dio2.jpg.0febbce18b833c19925d63f06bd28824.jpg

...and over the Channel to France.

dio3.jpg.7c14eb38b3638646bacc47817a75a66b.jpg

Keeping the background non specific means the diorama can be used for all sorts of photographs. If the backscene included the Seven Sisters, for example, it would be a bit more limiting! 

One tip I've learned the hard way - do couple up all the stock, because it shows! 

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Nice work on those dioramas there @kirtleypete. It's always nice to have a setting to photograph your new loco, or newly built / painted model. Plus, it can help you to learn modelling techniques and pick up hints + tips....

I agree that it can be good to photograph using daylight (on the right day of course). You could also make the backscene removable - so you can change the "setting". A simple, natural sky, with real clouds can also be a great backdrop, for those low-angled shots.

As @TechnicArrowsays, there's a temptation to want to incorporate a diorama into a layout too..... hmm, I'm off to doodle some plans ;)

• Agree 3