Troublesome mould release - MM1 models kits

I've just purchased a Cambrian 2 plank from MM1, which is covered in mould release. The instructons such as they are say wash in soapy water. Tried that, at various temperatures, that didn't touch it. Tried airbrush cleaner, that didn't touch it. Tried white spirit, nope. Tried Full on cellulose thinners, and still nope. Tried a different kind of soapy cleaner, still nothing. Even tried painting it just in case I was being dim and it wasn't really a mould release...nope, it is, paint comes right off. I've even tried abrading it off, and nothing! 

Short of giving up and sending it back, what else might I try? 

• RMweb Gold

Given what you've already tried, there doesn't seem to be much left that's likely to work. I see you haven't tried IPA yet, but if cellulose thinners doesn't move it then that might not make a difference either.

Do you have an ultrasonic cleaner? That removes loose paint and caked-on grime, so it might work on whatever your model is afflicted with. Might.

33 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Given what you've already tried, there doesn't seem to be much left that's likely to work. I see you haven't tried IPA yet, but if cellulose thinners doesn't move it then that might not make a difference either.

Do you have an ultrasonic cleaner? That removes loose paint and caked-on grime, so it might work on whatever your model is afflicted with. Might.

IPA didn't touch it either, nor did any of the above at 65° in the ultrasonic cleaner help. But I think I have found the solution, though it's going to be messy - Soda blasting. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 24/01/2021 at 10:55, Quarryscapes said:

IPA didn't touch it either, nor did any of the above at 65° in the ultrasonic cleaner help. But I think I have found the solution, though it's going to be messy - Soda blasting. 

And that didn't do it either, nor did Windolene nor Hydrochloric/FOrmic acid. The soda blasting did get all the remnants of partially stuck paint off though, which is good!

• Like 1

I've done several JLTRT kits and the resin castings have been mostly good, certainly no mould release issues.  I'm wondering how the moulder gets rid of the release agent given the measures you have taken.  Perhaps the stuff cures after a time.  Maybe worth a query to MM1?

John

11 minutes ago, wirey33 said:

If someone has a product that is resistant to all that abuse, you might want to find out what it is, bottle it, make a good marketing plan and start planning your retirement :-)

It's already out there, and I'm not sure it's that useful! :lol:

1 hour ago, brossard said:

I've done several JLTRT kits and the resin castings have been mostly good, certainly no mould release issues.  I'm wondering how the moulder gets rid of the release agent given the measures you have taken.  Perhaps the stuff cures after a time.  Maybe worth a query to MM1?

John

The casting is beautiful....just useless if it can't be painted! 

I've e-mailed MM1 asking to swap the casting, this was supposed to have be my weekend de stress project, not a science experiment! :lol:

• Like 1

I always recommend using "CIF" and a tooth brush for cleaning in my resin kit instructions, but then again I don't use any extra mould release agent above that contained in the silicone rubber I use for the moulds. Some use washing up liquid, but a lot of those contain lanolin (to keep hands soft), unfortunately this replaces one unpaintable chemical with another of the same.  

Phil Traxson

Port Wynnstay Models

Edited by Phil Traxson