Is this a battery charger for signalling equipment?

rodent279

• RMweb Gold

Since there doesn't seem to be a signalling special interest group, this seems as good a place as any to put this.

Is this a battery charger for signalling equipment? If so, what sort? And are similar things still in use, either on the network, or on preserved railways?

My late father, a railway employee, bought it and I have the receipt, which says Preston Division S&T (or words to that effect). The receipt is dated 1973, and the charger itself is stamped 1961. It still works, and it's currently charging a car battery.

Cheers N

IMG_20210124_121308883~2.jpg

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 1

Yes it is a peice of S&T equipment, it would be used to charge batteries that could feed a variaty of things block bells, instruments anything running of rechargable batteries, locations and equipment varies. A standard S&T voltage is 12V dc so would be within this range, it has adjustments as the supply voltage could be up or down on the expected range. These are still in use and im sure a preserved railway still use this type of equipment.

• Thanks 1

YEs looks like a older s and t battery charger.  As it’s only a battery charger it can charge any 12v battery as you’ve found out.

it would probably have been used to power anything but a track circuit, as I can’t think of any track circuit s that’s run off 12v

it more than likely powered a signal, the battery bank providing upto 8 hours standby in the power failed.

• Thanks 1