Pin pusher

• RMweb Premium

Hot water will take it off.

If you are worried about this then you could also use double sided tape. 

Edited by Kris
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, jamesinyk said:

Interesting, does it clean up off the track ok if you decide to change the layout in the future?

Recent copydex convert here!  Peels easily right off in a strangely satisfying way, even when fully ballasted.  PVA sets like concrete.

After struggling with pin pushers from woodwork suppliers I discovered that model ship builders have much smaller ones and also can provide a range of pins.  They are used by those who build their hulls plank by plank.  Apart from the brand beginning with the letter A I can't remember where mine came ( was 20 years ago) from but a google search for model boat suppliers should bring something up.  You will still need to at least start the hole with a drill before pushing the pin in but a whole lot easier to do than the larger, clumsier pin pushers.

Tony Comber

Edited by shipbadger
Grammatical error
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, shipbadger said:

After struggling with pin pushers from woodwork suppliers I discovered that model ship builders have much smaller ones and also can provide a range of pins.  They are used by those who build their hulls plank by plank.  Apart from the brand beginning with the letter A I can't remember where mine came ( was 20 years ago) from but a google search for model boat suppliers should bring something up.  You will still need to at least start the hole with a drill before pushing the pin in but a whole lot easier to do than the larger, clumsier pin pushers.

Tony Comber

This one, I suspect.

https://www.hobbies.co.uk/model-boats/tools-and-sundries/amati-pin-pusher-dual-tube-deluxe?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaignid=6727975578&utm_campaign=Shopping-Research_Campaign&utm_term=&adid=493968978455&addisttype=gpla&matchtype=&gclid=CjwKCAiA9bmABhBbEiwASb35V6-uG2HzL-FzL_0OP2gCI2h4yFU6CH05JfVtVWd-ym1PNbWyNG-hPhoCJ8AQAvD_BwE

Just ordered one.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use a fine nail punch that has 'cup' at its end within which the nail-head fits and stops it wobbling. I know it's a bit late, but for those who haven't yet started their layouts - it would be best to avoid MDF and use plywood instead. It is hard, heavy, the dust is a known health hazard, needs support and depending on where it is to be laid, susceptible to warping by damp. Admittedly, there is a price difference.

Cheers,

Philip

Edited by Philou
Clarification

• 5 months later...
On 25/01/2021 at 10:05, cctransuk said:

I have to say that, despite being purchased for track-laying, mine has seen zero use.

It certainly is not strong enough to push Peco track pins into plywood - I ended up pre-drilling with a 0.6mm. drill bit and then tapping in the pins with a light hammer.

John Isherwood.