What year did Melton Ross Sidings box close?

Paul G

I would be interested to know when the signal box at Melton Ross sidings closed? & when it was demolished/removed? & also the associated crossings and semaphores when were they removed? I have found a number of images online just recently that date from 1982 with all the above still in place, but no information on when this changed.

Can’t give exact date but moved to area 8/89 and pictures in my thread are generally from then onwards. 

I don’t have image and never saw box even when passing. 

Heard story only used once recently  for trial loading/working which didn’t progress 

I'm not sure how old I would have been when I first passed this way by train. As already stated I've seen pictures from 82 and probably did pass this on the train a few times. I don't remember it either as I would no doubt have been looking out the other side at the quarry and those huge kilns!

• RMweb Premium

From the SRS website, WON 1982;

"Sunday 10 October 1982

Melton Ross SB and all signals abolished. All points secured out of use in normal position pending removal. Block section between Barnetby East and Brocklesby Jn."

Not sure when the 'box was actually demolished.

A search on Flickr for Melton Ross Sidings produces 3 nice b/w photos from April 1982.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1