Magnetic couplings

While messing about with ideas for my  3d printer I came up with a design these magnetic couplings, other than breaking off the supports, I put a spot of glue into the hole drop the magnets in (making sure they are all up the same way). They slip onto the dropper of a standard Hornby type. They can be operated from below with another magnet, this is strong enough to work through 6mm ply and cork sheet.  They do not extend  below rail height during operation as i intend them for use over granite setts. I am awaiting for delivery of a 12v electro-magnet to see what i can do with that. What does anyone think?

Regards, 

Neil

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uq8eq0s6epr1hug/20210124_120231.mp4?dl=0

20210124_120000.jpg

20210124_120032.jpg

20210124_120137.jpg

Edited by neilkirby
Added link
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

I originally took the dimensions from a Bachmann coupling, and I have fitted some to Oxford wagons I have not tried either Hornby or Dapol yet.

EDIT 

I just went and got a Hornby  and a Dapol wagon, and they fit on both, Hornby is the tightest fit

Edited by neilkirby
Additional information

9 hours ago, neilkirby said:

I originally took the dimensions from a Bachmann coupling, and I have fitted some to Oxford wagons I have not tried either Hornby or Dapol yet.

EDIT 

I just went and got a Hornby  and a Dapol wagon, and they fit on both, Hornby is the tightest fit

Great design!  Anything for the oft overlooked N gauge market, please....

Ohhhh now those are rather good! I've been trying to figure out how to do concealed uncoupling of tension-locks on my layout (several of the places where uncoupling needs to take place are rather awkward to get to for hand-uncoupling), and as you've said granite setts make hiding a ramp nigh-on impossible. 

What size of magnet are you using in the dropper? 

Edited by Skinnylinny

• RMweb Premium
On 25/01/2021 at 07:38, Ray Von said:

Great design!  Anything for the oft overlooked N gauge market, please....

Peco do something similar https://peco-uk.com/products/electro-magnetic-decoupler-unit the problem with these is the springs in Farish and Dapol couplings make it much harder to work. Dapol's working knuckle couplers do work. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For N Gauge the Seep EM2 can work better than the Peco decoupler arms - they're a little larger so the magnet has more metal to pull on helping overcome the springs.

I like the OP's design. I suspect for N there's not enough clearance under the bodyshell to make them work well.

Steven B.

2 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

What size of magnet are you using in the dropper? 

hi,

Thanks for the interest I used 3mm x 1mm N42 Neodymium magnets, that I have had for a while.

1725562783_2021-01-2611_40_23.jpg.01552e51cbda47b376c5f71a81aacf6f.jpg

Yesterday I looked on the website again  and ordered some 2x1 and some 1x1, then drew up some 3d parts to suit. Obviously these will not be as strong as the 3x1, but I will print them out and see what they are like

442590194_MagCouplings.jpg.a0a4478fc3b6cda9f2ad387b3d9d70e5.jpg

Regards,

Neil

Edited by neilkirby
typo
  • Like 1

On 24/01/2021 at 21:48, neilkirby said:

EDIT 

I'm not sure they will work on any other coupling except Bachmann. The rest are all steel hooks and will be attracted by the under track magnet.

Dave