Dapol 15T Booth Ropley crane

Does anybody have a scale drawing of the above crane that they could send me or a link so I can download a set of drawings?David Hyde on YouTube has a link on the first part of his build video but half of the link is covered by links to pat 2 and 3 of the build!! Any help will be much appricated

Ian

Screenshot 2021-01-24 223910.jpg

Hi There

Here is my Dapol crane that I altered to make it more accurate:

DSCF0510.JPG.650cf12219a95edff628131d2e8b6f2f.JPG

Painted but no transfers.

DSCF0869.JPG.9ce593f348ac95b530c577c63f5783cd.JPG

Finished with transfers and riding van.

The jib needs to be lengthened and these are the pieces required for the jib foot and also the new swan neck.

DSCF0521.JPG.0f75b3659903f97d7ad4cbcdd6e141b8.JPG

DSCF0522.JPG.632ac8d56f24e956cd0dcc576c6a933a.JPG

The carriage is completely wrong for the British Railways version, this is a basic drawing of the rigid carriage.

DSCF0950.JPG.e30279cf821ed4fef1bde335487a31af.JPG

The runner is made from a GWR Macaw-H, these are the equipment lockers that are centrally mounted upon the Macaw.

DSCF0874.JPG.400b447e0190c43a816c3789fa12494b.JPG

The build is detailed starting on page 9 of my thread on the crane thread there are various links to photographs of various types of crane. Both can be found through the below links.

By all means ask more questions should you get stuck.

Gibbo.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

If you want a good set with pictures, the Tatlow cranes book series as published by Crecy is excellent. Unfortunately I can’t remember the Vol No with this one in and a bit too late to look now. Will look it up tomorrow, and update.

Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold

https://www.crecy.co.uk/railway-cranes-3

On 24/01/2021 at 23:24, john new said:

If you want a good set with pictures, the Tatlow cranes book series as published by Crecy is excellent. Unfortunately I can’t remember the Vol No with this one in and a bit too late to look now. Will look it up tomorrow, and update.

Vol 3 pages 143-8.  Sorry for the delay in looking it up. Excellent book, thoroughly recommended.

EDIT 18 Nov 2022 - This had an image of the cover which was lost in the crash. Link to the book's web page at Crécy in lieu of the lost image is here on the Crécy website) .

Edited by john new
Image sadly lost in the crash, my scan since deleted.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The Booth Rodley as per the Airfix/Dapol/Kitmaster construction kit, is a model of a mobile crane, i.e. one that can be moved around an industrial site by shunting locos but cannot be moved under it's own power.  The prototype had a Diesel Hydraulic power unit I believe.  The similar looking Booth Rodleys bought by BR for per.way. use were diesel elxtrics, and unlike the crane in the kit had a rigid 8 wheel underframe; these could move under their own power. They were used at PADs, Pre Assembled track Depots, and worked in those depots when they were not required on track replacement jobs.  The diesel electric transmission meant that they could be loco hauled to such work sites at speeds of up to 35mph, then move around at the site under their own power.

There is very little difference apart from the underframe in appearance between the two types, and by coincidence a Gresley 8 wheel tender chassis fits perfectly underneath the kit main body and looks not unlike the real 8 wheel chassis of the diesel electric per. way cranes.  The match truck has to be built as outlined above.

The grey livery was superceded by yellow in the early 70s, and as well as the match truck they ran with a mess and tool van.  In transit to and from work sites the ensemble was marshalled behind the loco or behind the fitted head if there was one.  Crane, match truck, and mess/tool coach van were not vacuum fitted, but were piped through.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

My first job was at Waterloo with the CM&EE ( ODM ) about 1979. As a shop lad, one job I had carrying the tool bag, was with the Boiler Inspectors down to Woking PAD. 

At that time Woking had 3 cranes, 2 diesel and 1 steam, I couldn't tell you what type they were but as a sixteen year old working on the Big Railway it was my best day out ever!

Whilst there, I noticed the odd plume of smoke coming up from the ground, on asking what it was causing it, I was told the ground deep underneath was burning as the depot had been built up on ash from steam depots. About an hour or 2 into the job the local fire brigade turned up and started hosing parts of the yard down. Which they did every few months.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The Booth Rodley as per the Airfix/Dapol/Kitmaster construction kit, is a model of a mobile crane, i.e. one that can be moved around an industrial site by shunting locos but cannot be moved under it's own power.  The prototype had a Diesel Hydraulic power unit I believe.  The similar looking Booth Rodleys bought by BR for per.way. use were diesel elxtrics, and unlike the crane in the kit had a rigid 8 wheel underframe; these could move under their own power. They were used at PADs, Pre Assembled track Depots, and worked in those depots when they were not required on track replacement jobs.  The diesel electric transmission meant that they could be loco hauled to such work sites at speeds of up to 35mph, then move around at the site under their own power.

There is very little difference apart from the underframe in appearance between the two types, and by coincidence a Gresley 8 wheel tender chassis fits perfectly underneath the kit main body and looks not unlike the real 8 wheel chassis of the diesel electric per. way cranes.  The match truck has to be built as outlined above.

The grey livery was superceded by yellow in the early 70s, and as well as the match truck they ran with a mess and tool van.  In transit to and from work sites the ensemble was marshalled behind the loco or behind the fitted head if there was one.  Crane, match truck, and mess/tool coach van were not vacuum fitted, but were piped through.

I managed to see enough of these to have their own collection together with associated rolling stock. Paul Bartlett's Photographs | BR Cranes DRA81547 - 81556 Booth 0-8-0 crane ZTO ZOR ZOP ZPP YSP YSR ZQR YSQ (zenfolio.com) https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbooth0-8-0

There have been several discussions of using the Airfix kit crane as a starter for these.

Paul

5 hours ago, 73c said:

My first job was at Waterloo with the CM&EE ( ODM ) about 1979. As a shop lad, one job I had carrying the tool bag, was with the Boiler Inspectors down to Woking PAD. 

At that time Woking had 3 cranes, 2 diesel and 1 steam, I couldn't tell you what type they were but as a sixteen year old working on the Big Railway it was my best day out ever!

Whilst there, I noticed the odd plume of smoke coming up from the ground, on asking what it was causing it, I was told the ground deep underneath was burning as the depot had been built up on ash from steam depots. About an hour or 2 into the job the local fire brigade turned up and started hosing parts of the yard down. Which they did every few months.

I worked the 08 in Woking Yards for a few years and the up yard suffered regularly with the underground burning. The sleepers were charred underneath.