Roborough Down P & D old route?

brianusa

Does anyone get the WestCountry Calendar?  If so there is a picture on Roborough Down on this weeks date of what might have been its  long gone route across the Moor.  The only problem is that most of it was on granite blocks which this picture may show but without certainty.

As to its whereabouts, not much except its on a long curve, a little close to a tree which probably wasn't there a long time ago, judging by its size.

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

It was a tramway, ran from Princetown to near Marsh Mills I think.

Part of the route was taken over by the GWR line.

I've walked all of it, in stages 

• RMweb Premium

Hi RAB

I think you're confusing the Leemoor Tramway, with the P & D tramway. The Leemoor Tramway ran from a junction with the P & D at Crabtree to Leemoor via the Cann incline, at the bottom of the Cann incline was a junction for the Cann Quarry branch.

The P & D turned left at Crabtree and headed up the Forder Valley entering a tunnel behind the petrol station, (I don't know if it's still there) and went under Leigham, if you turn right from Novorossiysk Road

into Bampton Road the northern portal is on your left.

866037717_PDtramway.png.8b1b9623d19ad771602e9649ffeb7df2.png

The map is an extract from the link to the NLS map site.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/106006889

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I have had a further thought, the Princetown branch was built on some of the P & D tramway especially on Dartmoor.

Wot I sed :)

Thanks for the response.  For some reason all I can get from a copy is this.  Toggle it up and it will show the 'track'. (Hopefully)!  Of course, a bulldozer or some other tracked vehicle may have come along recently:o

Brian.

Image (3).jpg

Edited by brianusa

Thanks Brian.

It’s the line above Clearbrook village, along from the car park by the leat bridge towards Yelverton. The tarmac cycle/walkers path on the left. Also near here is one of the granite mileposts (12 or 13).

Much to see, as further along are the granite blocks remains of a passing loop. Then nearer Yelverton a length of rail.

Paul

Edited by pb_devon

12 hours ago, pb_devon said:

Thanks Brian.

It’s the line above Clearbrook village, along from the car park by the leat bridge towards Yelverton. The tarmac cycle/walkers path on the left. Also near here is one of the granite mileposts (12 or 13).

Much to see, as further along are the granite blocks remains of a passing loop. Then nearer Yelverton a length of rail.

Paul

Thank you Paul for the info.  I remember that particular spot quite well by virtue of many visits to the Skylark Inn at Clearbrook.  Also in my long gone youth, friends and I of like interest cycled the remains of what was left back then. I'm always surprised the old stables could be rebuilt as they were in pretty bad shape even in those days.

Sorry about the sideways image; in this instance I couldn't change it for some reason so thank you one and all, for your patience.

Brian.:yes:

• Funny 1