DCC Decoders for Absolute Aspects/Roger Murray Signals

pheaton

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

Anyone know of any dcc decoders for the above signals, I want to convert all mine to DCC operation so I can get some sort of automation based on feedback, but the problem I envisage is that the signals require a 12v input because the resistors for the signal are on the interface board, and can't be bypassed...

Anyone ever done this before?

Thanks

Simon

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

I don't know of any accessory decoders that are common negative :(

Sorry, perhaps someone hand provide a way of solving the issue.

further research shows that there appears to be an adaptor by the same manufacturer to covert each output to common anode, but it does add greatly to the cost..

• RMweb Gold

I am wondering if you use a decoder that supports logic functions, could you drive one side of a NAND gate chip with the other half permanently tied high? That would mean that the output would be a reverse logic signal and some NAND chips will quite happily power an LED*.

Quad NAND 2-input chips can be bought for about £1.50. That would drive four LEDs.

* you would still want a current limiting resistor.

Edit: or of course you could just use a NOR gate! Somebody didn't get enough sleep last night.

Roy  

Edited by Roy Langridge
Being stupid!

1 hour ago, pheaton said:

further research shows that there appears to be an adaptor by the same manufacturer to covert each output to common anode, but it does add greatly to the cost..

"greatly to the cost" = a transistor or an opto-isolator.  Which cost pence as components.  

- Nigel