Holy Grael of Rule #1 Model Railways

KeithMacdonald

Prompted by a comment by @Oldddudders on the Mid Cornwalls topic re Longhedge Junction

Longhedge Junction? I couldn't remember where that is, so looked it up. Gosh (I thought), that location could be the "Holy Grael of Rule #1 Model Railways". It looks like almost every railway company (in England) has got a line in there. (Somerset & Dorset excepted). Has anyone found anywhere else that had so many railway companies in such a (relatively) small space?

image.png.e2b60c211a44e72ec7f933d900c1bb40.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If we are talking pre-grouping, the modest station at Kew Gardens must take a biscuit: LSWR; NLR; GWR; District; and Met. passenger services. Which ones were operating, and to/from where, varied over time, but there were periods when all five companies served this two-platform wayside station.

The suburbs south and south west of London were rich territory if you include goods and coal, because of the number of through trains from the MR, GNR, etc., some by agreement, some by running powers. LNWR and GER passenger trains to Croydon are interesting too.

• Informative/Useful 2

8 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

If we are talking pre-grouping, the modest station at Kew Gardens must take a biscuit: LSWR; NLR; GWR; District; and Met. passenger services. Which ones were operating, and to/from where, varied over time, but there were periods when all five companies served this two-platform wayside station.

The suburbs south and south west of London were rich territory if you include goods and coal, because of the number of through trains from the MR, GNR, etc., some by agreement, some by running powers. LNWR and GER passenger trains to Croydon are interesting too.

Good call.

image.png.b2d0e0b2cbf809de7cf47127c09e5743.png

• Like 1

The thing about RCH diagrams is that, although they show very neatly who owned what, they don't show who ran where, so Kew Gardens was on an entirely L&SWR owned line, yet had all those different trains running through it.

BTW, I missed the Midland from the list, although their service to Richmond was very short-lived, and I can't recall without checking which of the others it overlapped in time with.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

In terms of complexity the area south of Glasgow Central/ St Enoch around Shields Junction was complicated but it was only three railways Caledonian, G&SWR  and I think the City of Glasgow  Union which was G&SWR / NBR . 

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

The thing about RCH diagrams is that, although they show very neatly who owned what, they don't show who ran where, so Kew Gardens was on an entirely L&SWR owned line, yet had all those different trains running through it.

Err, I get your point, but is there something better than the RCH diagrams we should look at?