Loksound v4 issue - movement, but no sound

GEOEng03

Hi, 

I have a Loksound v4 sound chip that does not work for sound but is fine for moving and controlling the lighting function of  a loco.  I have tried in several units and it produces the same results.  So, is there anyway of working out if the chip is damaged beyond being a normal DCC chip.  I was planning on sending off to be reblown, but before doing as much, wondered if there are any pointers to check the health of this chip. 

Cheers

Bryn

• RMweb Premium

Have you tried a different speaker? I had one suddenly stop working a while ago so it is worth checking.

Is there a volume control on the decoder. Some have a mute facility which you may have accidentally trigger and you can increase/decrease the volume on some.

Do you know what make of decoder it is?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks both.  I did try the chip in another unit, with separate speaker and it was the same.  So, the chances of it being fixable are quite low by the sounds of it.  I will check the Volume control, as did not think of that TBH, definitely worth a pop.  IT can be used as a 'expensive' DCC chip, at least there is that...

Thanks 

Bryn

• RMweb Premium

I’ve a Loksound v5 which produces no sound, but works fine for driving loco.  It had a brief short while testing a chassis and smoke came out of the decoder.  Oops.  Not a total loss as I use it in a non-sound loco.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ColinK said:

Sorry Charlie, I missed your post - another member kindly pointed it out to me.

I got the V5 last year from you to go in the Hornby Pacer I was trying to re-motor and fit sound. 

Please return it as its under warranty if less than two years old.  Charlie

• Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1