Ex-Great Central London Extension in the East Midlands.

Chamby

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Some excellent work here, I kinda regret having to dismantle my rendition of Leicester GC, I spent quite a lot of time around there in my yoof train spotting, only criticism I might offer is you have way too many people on the platform to be realistic, sadly it was usually empty unless it was 1961 when Leicester City played Spurs at Wembley, then platform was packed with footie fans.

Yes, I understand that most of the time the platform was a bleak and windswept place, being elevated above the surrounding streets - especially during the winter months with the buffet being a place of refuge for waiting passengers supping mugs of hot chocolate!   I have seen several photographs though (unfortunately copyright restricted so I can't post them here) that show a flurry of activity around diverse train arrivals and departures, including the Master Cutler in the 50's and a 1960's DMU operated service.  Some of them are clearly commuters, others suggest perhaps a holiday service with lots of suitcases in evidence.   I have around 25 waiting passengers on the platform, plus a few station staff, concentrated in front of the station building, which looks about right compared to these pictures.

I guess it comes down to whether to model the 'normal' environment, or a specific time.  I opted to have one side of the platform anticipating an imminent arrival, the other side deserted apart from a porter with a broom....

1 hour ago, Chamby said:

Yes, I understand that most of the time the platform was a bleak and windswept place, being elevated above the surrounding streets - especially during the winter months with the buffet being a place of refuge for waiting passengers supping mugs of hot chocolate!   I have seen several photographs though (unfortunately copyright restricted so I can't post them here) that show a flurry of activity around diverse train arrivals and departures, including the Master Cutler in the 50's and a 1960's DMU operated service.  Some of them are clearly commuters, others suggest perhaps a holiday service with lots of suitcases in evidence.   I have around 25 waiting passengers on the platform, plus a few station staff, concentrated in front of the station building, which looks about right compared to these pictures.

I guess it comes down to whether to model the 'normal' environment, or a specific time.  I opted to have one side of the platform anticipating an imminent arrival, the other side deserted apart from a porter with a broom....

I was joking, to be honest I rarely went onto the platform, we used climb on our bikes and sit on the wall near the turntable, when the view wasn't blocked by a loco.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

As a user of Kadee couplings, one of the bugbears that I regularly encounter is the difference in coupling height used by Bachmann and Hornby.  I have a couple of fixed rakes of coaches with mixed Bachmann and Hornby coaches, in particular my Master Cutler rake where there is a Bachmann Restaurant 1st coupled next to a Hornby Gresley Buffet car, and the train intermittently uncouples as a result of the height difference. 

Having unsuccessfully fiddled about with trying to lower the Bachmann coupling using bits of card stuck in the NEM socket, a simple solution has been found:  swapping out the 14mm Bachmann wheel sets for a set of Hornby 12.6mm ones.  This lowers the coach by a sufficient amount to couple securely to the adjacent Hornby one, it also improves the alignment of their roofs, and the different wheel size is unnoticeable to the casual viewer:  

Bachmann Restaurant First on the left, Hornby 3rd on the right:

IMG_6174small.jpeg.b298b9cfcf6f107670d82f00c7fba040.jpeg

This photo reminds me... I must change the number of the Restaurant 1st to the Eastern Region!

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

We've had fantastic weather this last week, at last!  It rather signals the end of the 'modelling season'.   The local beach and our garden beckon, and regular family visitors to our Cornish cove will inevitably drag me away from the modelling bench for much of the summer.  So, a quick update and summary of the winter season's progress with the layout:

My focus ended up being mainly on the scenic requirements of unfinished corners of the layout.  At the north end of the station, a factory unit was installed (J&S Models Canal Warehouse) and a Bachmann Scenecraft GCR signal box was modified to better resemble the timber clad version at Leicester Central.  Chain Link fencing (Scale Model Scenery) and mill workers unloading sacks (ModelU) complete the scene.  Note the 'bus on a bridge', Leicester style.

This corner was originally going to be hidden, so Peco Code 100 track work was laid owing to the number of curved points required here, but the plan has since been opened up and it now jars somewhat - a remodelling of this station approach will be a future project.

IMG_6204.JPG.fb7907ce239486398981813665ec1d07.JPG

IMG_6193.JPG.0a9f75b01ee6dd964d102920d49cb624.JPG

November saw my annual pilgrimage to Warley, where just along from the JS Models stand I discovered some fabulous trees by Primo Models.  A new forest-edge of firs on the countryside side of the layout was the outcome:

IMG_6203.JPG.5d943bf99244333bdafc50ca4dc10431.JPG

Turning my attention to the other unfinished corner of the layout, Leicester Passenger South signal box was a second conversion from the Bachmann product, this was a more substantial conversion involving much hacksawing, raising the height to better reflect the original at modelled location.  For now, it is sited on the wrong side of the station approach but it will eventually be moved to its proper location in front of the operating position.  LED's have been installed in both signal boxes and the mill, work is still in progress under the boards to wire in DCC accessory decoders to control this lighting.  I hope to eventually install working lighting on the station too, for night-time operation.

The now-installed turntable is the main feature in the 'southern approach' corner.   A Heljan unit, the operators cabin has been removed but it still needs vacuum tanks and the associated brackets and piping to be modelled, all in good time.  The surrounding wall is true to prototype, though the track layout has been simplified owing to space restrictions.  The V2 is also a recent addition to the locomotive fleet.

IMG_6198.JPG.824f3411c86f79ef57284e0345fc6a05.JPG

IMG_6199.JPG.b888b35d2daec46b68b4d8226b1d9522.JPG

Last but by no means least, I have changed the control system from a Gaugemaster Prodigy wireless unit, to an ECoS base station.  Despite the seemingly daunting requirements to link it up with my Mac, it proved surprisingly easy to upload appropriate UK locomotive pictures from the ESU user database to facilitate the display.  I shall have a go at generating my own images based on the layout's roster in due course.  One nice feature of the ECoS unit is that my old gauge master system will simply plug into the back of it, so I can still use the Prodigy handsets (and through the wi-fi adapter, any mobile smart phone) for additional locomotive control.

IMG_6201.JPG.b2a5ff83454014b02d7d38fd017dd8bc.JPG

The final part of the layout requiring scenification can be seen on the right hand side of the above photo.  It is on the inside of the end curve, between the turntable and engine shed, and currently littered with 'stuff'.  A row of about 20 terraced houses would fit nicely into this location so that, and completing the lighting installation, will probably top the list of next autumn's projects.  

So that's sort of it for now, apart from the general running of trains and working on operational refinements, as and when the opportunity arises.  However, discussions are ongoing with the management re: a possible relocation of the layout to allow a longer run, though that will likely involve a loft conversion to our home and the project is currently being scoped up for feasibility.  Fingers crossed!

Edited by Chamby
To move a comma.
  • Like 16

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A tale of two 9F’s:

This week, Bachmann have distributed the latest versions of their excellent 9F model.  Single chimney, BR1F tenders, including class members used on the 'Runners' and 'Windcutters' up and down the former GC between Woodford Halse and Annesley.

Normally I would be delighted, but actually I am not amused!  Typically, the new models have been introduced just after I modified two other earlier 9F releases: Zod's law in operation, as usual.   So herewith, I share a tale of two 9F's that were modified to get exactly what I needed, only for Bachmann to release the exact same locomotives the following week.  

First off, I had an earlier model of Bachmann's 9F, 92116.  This had the required single chimney, but hauled a BR1C tender more appropriate for the London Midland region.   So a relatively simple matter of renumbering and a tender swop.  A quick search on the Bachmann spares website and a suitable BR1F tender body was sourced, it just needed the late motif changing to the earlier 'cycling lion' to be right for what I wanted.  A Bachmann crew, some real coal in the tender, a touch of weathering and class H lamps added to complete:

IMG_6290.JPG.cc383581b38024a00919bcafaae43540.JPG

The second 9F was converted from Hornby's R3987, No. 92194.  This was released with a BR1F tender, but carried the later double chimney.  So a turned brass replacement single chimney was sourced (Precision), the double chimney removed with a Dremel and the replacement installed and painted using Precision matt black.    Again, the 'cycling lion' emblem replaced the later logo, crew was added (ModelU this time), real coal in the tender and class H lamps.  So pictured here for a direct comparison between modified Bachmann (above) and Hornby (below) 9F's:

IMG_6289.JPG.9e06eb9f4801b54331be18b5f1912fc6.JPG

The differences are subtle, and make for an interesting comparison.  Of course, you can now just go online and order either 92010 or 92069 from your preferred retailer and save yourself the effort!

I have found the following websites useful for researching the details and differences between different BR locomotives, and other classes:

https://www.brdatabase.info/  is useful for searching by locomotive number, it gives details of overhaul dates, modifications and shed allocations.

http://shedbashuk.blogspot.com  is really a database of loco-spotters logs.  The search function is a little convoluted but it contains by date, the locomotives that were actually logged by loco-spotters at any given loco shed.  It gives you a good idea of what was around, where and when.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BR_Standard_Class_9F   Wikipedia, of course, can be a veritable minefield of information.  Useful information here about the variations between class members, tender types, regional allocations, etc etc.  Not all locomotive classes are as well documented as the 9F, but it's a good point of call.

Of course there are a number of books that are also available with even more information.  I have browsed through the GCLE texts in my library and observed which individual locomotives featured more frequently in the photographs taken, this also helps to identify the condition and tender logo's carried at a specific date, for example.  Fine if you have access to them, but the above websites are instantly available and free.  My thanks go to those responsible for collating and maintaining these invaluable resources.

Edited by Chamby
Tweak to read better
  • Like 9

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A bit of basic modelling undertaken this week.

Take one little-used LMS Fairburn tank, gently remove the lettering, add BR mixed traffic lining (fiddly!) and re-number it to a Neasden and (later) Woodford Halse allocated example manufactured in the same batch as the donor model.  Now with re-touched weathering and a sound chip fitted, it will hopefully become a really useful tank engine.

Whilst researching the numbers and allocation of the class, I was surprised to find that no less than 277 Fairburn's were constructed, 41 of which were unusually built at Brighton works in 1950 for service on the Southern Railway, but still allocated numbers 42066-42106 in the London Midland Region series.  The design evolved to become the BR Standard 4MT tank, seeing another 155 being built, most of them at Brighton.  

Unsurprisingly given the total number built, they were widely distributed including a few on the former GC even before it was transferred over tho the LMR.

IMG_6367.JPG.d7a2fdc80ecbb63b04d894444245698c.JPG

IMG_6374.JPG.355de2981fc0e5e3025a64c7c8386c47.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

A slow start to the modelling season this year, with family stuff getting in the way somewhat but I've finally managed to make a start on the scenery at the unfinished end of the layout.  Leicester, like many industrial cities, retains a large amount of Victorian terraced housing and I decided that a representation of this was in order.  So an extensive review of the available options showed that none of the available products were an exact fit for the commonest designs in Leicester, but with some modification the laser-cut kit from Scale Model Scenery would be a reasonable match.  The available space allows for a street with around 32 terraced houses, sufficient to give the right visual impact.

Building a long terrace meant some tweaks to the design, including a gated alley between alternate houses to give access to the back yards from the street.  I also decided against the 'wraps' provided by SMS which, although very good, have a slightly glossy finish that I am keen to avoid, and wouldn't be an easy adaptation to fit the modified design.  I have decided to use Redutex textured sheets as an alternative 'wrap'.

Justin at SMS was very obliging and was able to provide a bulk supply of the kits (minus wraps).

This is going to be a long project, as the kits are very nicely detailed... but with each sash window comprising four components, and nine windows and doors per house - all of which need cutting from their frets and assembling - that's over 1,000 parts for the windows and doors alone.  I've also yet to decide how many of the houses will include interior lighting and furnishings to give a semblance of life during evening running sessions.

The images below give an indication of the work in hand.  It's very early days as yet and to avoid too much repetition I'll only post updates as and when things have made significant progress, but hopefully this project will not drag out beyond the next three months or so!

IMG_6754small.JPG.1f02cb9b81ee52b2613e5b33e3d63fb4.JPG

IMG_6757small.JPG.0ac66728556feac7bcebbd5953f273a4.JPG

And a happy new year to you all...

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Looks like a 'Bombers Eye' view of a City in 1945.

manna

The same thought had occurred to me.  I have been wondering whether to leave a gap of three houses, with the adjacent side walls shored up to represent bomb damage, but am unsure as to whether these would have been rebuilt by around 1950ish.  I’ve also toyed with the idea of a couple of prefab’s at the end of the terrace, to further define the era…  whilst Leicester was bombed during the blitz, it was relatively light compared to other midlands cities, so I’ll probably end up leaving the terrace intact.

• Like 2

G'Day Folks

I lived in a long terrace of house's in north London, not a lot of damage, but a Bomber did fly across the housing estate at an angle dropping a bomb in each street, all the bomb sites had been rebuilt by the mid 50's but to a modern style, that was very noticeable, so a couple of brand new house's in the middle of the terrace wouldn't look amiss.

manna

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well this terraced street is proving to be a bigger job than I imagined, but never mind - it's all proving to be enjoyable modelling!  An update is overdue:

I have finally settled on a plan for the street, it requires 30 properties laid out as follows:

IMG_6789small.JPG.ad34e726bfd4131f7f20995f19eef594.JPG

Note that there are two properties just in front of the turntable which have open fronts, these will receive shop windows, which will represent a couple of businesses from my family's history:

IMG_6795small.JPG.74d0b37e5637ba1dede10af2b20f1fc9.JPG

Also, sections of pine strip have been glued between alternate houses to create an alley through from the street to the rear of each property.  Most Victorian terraces in Leicester seem to have these.  Their inclusion is one of the reasons why  I decided not to use the SMS brick-paper wraps, as these are only designed to fit an individual property and not with the extra width as set up above.  Otherwise, the basic shell of the kit is unaltered.  This next image gives a view at street level, showing the effect that I am trying to achieve - imagine a few parked cars, kids playing football in the street, and housewives stood in their front door nattering with the neighbours:

IMG_6792small.JPG.e744c4615e08ef468249f061f525641d.JPG

The short terrace of four properties straddling the end of the street will be completed before I work on the rest.  These are to be a 'test bed' for construction techniques and assembly, which should pave the way for a more efficient build of the main terraces. 

Lighting is being added to the houses: my railway room doesn't get direct sunlight and is especially dim during the winter months, so it seemed like a good idea at the time...  after much fiddling about with LED's, resistances and power supplies I settled on using a power supply from a recently replaced BT wi-fi router, giving a 6V 500mA output.  This gives a nice level of illumination when used with 2x daylight white LED's wired in series with a 100 ohm resistor.  Of the four houses in this short terrace, I have decided to illuminate 3x downstairs and 2x upstairs rooms, to provide some variety along the row.  Different lighting effects from house-to-house are achieved by inserting coloured card 'walls' in the lit rooms which gives a pleasing variety of colours as seen through the windows.  The patterns used on the card inserts are ridiculously over-scale but this is not really noticeable once the window frames have been installed, as it is the lighting effect that predominates:

IMG_6815small.JPG.dc91510365b71ef32caa52f8481ae6d6.JPG  

IMG_6813.JPG.6a4b9e9339f25e2288219a66dd8d90fe.JPG

Also shown above is how the Redutex brickwork will look, an effect that I am quite pleased with despite the mortar courses being a little coarse - the slightly 3D effect of the brickwork is very noticeable and enhances the appearance considerably.  Windowsills have been installed and painted, but lintels above each window have still to be added, using painted plastic strip.  The windows and door in the nearest house have been loose-fitted at this stage.  And the fit is rather loose, I'll need to add further fillets of plastic strip to the sides and top of the window frames to prevent light shining through where it's not supposed to.  My thoughts are now turning to 3D printed furniture and figures inside the illuminated rooms... although this feels like a step too far, for now at least!

One little innovation that I have made along the way relates to the polarity of lighting, critical for the LED's installed.  With two wires, it would be all too easy to get the polarity wrong and potentially blowing the bulbs.  Yes, I could install additional diodes to protect against reverse polarity, however by using a 3-way connector the risk is avoided, using the central pin for the + supply and the two outer ones wired up to the -ve.  This way, no matter which way round the male and female connectors are joined, the polarity will always be correct:

IMG_6811small.JPG.9fa2fcaf1acf8b6e2e11ae6afb4402b3.JPG

Next:  Adding the lintels, window frames and glazing, then finally the roofs and chimneys.  60x 3D printed chimney pots have recently arrived from Model Railway Scenes, very nice and very reasonably priced they are too.  So I think that's everything acquired now, to complete this short terrace at least.  

Back to the modelling bench...

Edited by Chamby
Remove duplication
  • Like 14

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/01/2024 at 20:53, manna said:

G'Day Folks

I lived in a long terrace of house's in north London, not a lot of damage, but a Bomber did fly across the housing estate at an angle dropping a bomb in each street, all the bomb sites had been rebuilt by the mid 50's but to a modern style, that was very noticeable, so a couple of brand new house's in the middle of the terrace wouldn't look amiss.

manna

On 03/01/2024 at 20:53, manna said:

G'Day Folks

manna

I lived in a South London Street from 1948 until Summer 1956 where half our side of the road had been flattened in the War and prefabs built on the site.  When we moved to another part of London in 1956 the prefabs were still occupied.  I don't know how soon after we moved on that they were replaced by 'proper' houses.

Chris KT

• Like 2