BR. EX WR. 'FRUIT D' (Dapol) faded red, mid 50's to early 60's livery - end walls colour? black or same as bodyside?

As above really, I have been searching on here for a definitive, or shall we say the most likely colour that Fruit D end walls were painted when in BR red livery.

As it comes the ends are same as body,  I've seen a photo of one with black ends as per other npccs during  the mid BR period. Question is which is correct?

Any advice gladly received,

Regards,

sigtech

Steve.

Thanks Miss P that was a speedy response... . I was sort of hoping for that answer, as I've cheated and already painted them that colour along with the wheels and roof,  - have also just found a second one on the web, again in BR crimson and with black ends.

Knew I'd get the info on here, it never fails!!

Regards

sigtech

Steve.

Not recalling any with black ends (it was a long time ago and they were usually  all-over muck), I went to Mr. Bartlett's excellent site for confirmation and not one of the photos shows a black end. Granted most of these are BR blue, but the photo of W3472W (in presumably maroon or crimson) shows the end in body colour with a clear difference between body and headstock.

The SVR seems to agree with me (as did both Hornby Dublo and Tri-ang back in the day, with the usual caveat not to copy a model).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/svr_enthusiast/4308389361/

We have had this discussion previously with horse boxes. Could it be an individual works thing?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

A quick scan of the internet suggests black, but further investigation shows most to be in preservation. A contemporary photo to confirm seems as elusive as for the FRUIT D. Being away from my library doesn't help.

My recollection (highly fallible) seems to suggest vehicles with a gangway, black, without, body colour.

The oo gauge model of the van' c' in BR red, R4347C  as produced by Hornby has black painted ends

I believe this is correct for mid 50' s- early 60's.  I have one of these models running in one of my parcels trains.

Regards

Steve

SIGTECH.

Edited by sigtech
extra text.

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, sigtech said:

The oo gauge model of the van' c' in BR red, R4347C  as produced by Hornby has black painted ends

I believe this is correct for mid 50' s- early 60's.  I have one of these models running in one of my parcels trains.

As has their crimson liveried CCT R 6641B just released.

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, petrox said:

A slight digression from the original topic, but would SR Van C ends be body colour or black in mid-1950's?

Thanks,

Pete

From the photos I've seen, I would assume black at that time. As I said it seemed to be the early 60s when it changed to body colour, at least on the southern and western regions.