Class 26

HealeyMills

• RMweb Premium

I have just been looking at photos of the actual model in the newly released batch, the Railfreight Red Stripe one.  At least two livery issues spotted, the white cant rail stripe is missing and what the blazes is that font used for the numbers?

Meanwhile, has anyone seen the blue version from this new batch?  I am interested to see if the shade of blue used has been altered from previous releases murky green tinged whatever it was supposed to be.

Rails have images on their website. Same shade of blue used as before. Font is something Dapol's factory seem to struggle with. All my Dapol Mk3s have the dodgy font and (slightly ot) it looks like the blue 33 comes complete with ED depot stickers again. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

So another bodge job then... :(  In which case I will pass on the blue one and probably look at respraying my existing pair at some point.  The Railfreight Red Stripe version is still on my wants list but I would like to see some discount on the price before I commit as it will need correcting.

Hmmm. Is the size of the Scottie Dog prototypical on the blue one? Looks very big to me!

I am intrigued by the promise of a Next18 socket though - does this mean the dodgy PCB has been upgraded in general? I'd definitely be interested to see under the hood once someone gets one in their hands!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There were some larger dogs around, I think a couple of Railfreight Red Stripers had them but never seen a large dog on a blue one.  If the Rails pictures are correct the Blue one also seems to show an orange cant rail stripe and radio roof pods which shouldn't be there unless it is an as preserved one perhaps?

I think the model of 26024 in blue is accurate for around 1991, apart from the orange cantrail stripe. This picture here shows 26024 arriving into Waverley with NSE coaching stock next to a Class 311 EMU. How about prototype for anything? But more to the point, it has radio roof pods and a large Scottie dog (although I'm often told it's actually a Westie i.e. West Highland Terrier). There are also DMEE chevrons under the secondman's window which also appear to be depicted on the model.

Cheers,

Tom. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Mine arrived this afternoon and, whilst not 100% sure, the Blue does look much better to me than on the earlier releases. I don't have a 26 with the previous factory blue any more but 26024 looks to have a very similar shade to a Dapol 22 and Farish 37 that I do have to hand.  On the rolling road, running well and no lighting issues. Not had the body off yet and sorry, not able to take photos at the moment.

The 26 to me sums up the frustration of Dapol. Grateful they produced a model that Farish probably never would have done that I'd wanted since I'd bodged a minitrix 27 into one (badly) around 1980. More variants tooled for than I might have reasonably expected in N but strangely (to me anyway) not the tablet catcher recess required for a transition era 26/1. Livery errors such as the cantrail stripes that a quick review of the internet would have shown up.

Not a Dapol basher, 26024 takes my Dapol 26s into double figures. They produce some great models but could be even better with just a bit more care.

Rob

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/05/2020 at 20:44, Suffolk Rob said:

Livery errors such as the cantrail stripes that a quick review of the internet would have shown up.

Not a Dapol basher, 26024 takes my Dapol 26s into double figures. They produce some great models but could be even better with just a bit more care.

Rob

I agree totally, I've got a lot of Dapol locos but there's always that one livery error which they could have just googled.

33030 was pretty much spot on, colours, fonts etc. and will probably go for 33020 as well. I can overlook the ED depot sticker.

Alan.

• RMweb Premium

Seeing how supplies of the Railfreight Red Stripe one seem to be dwindling fast (is it a limited production?) I have taken the plunge and ordered one.

The numbers and a few other minor details will be attended to before it is put to work though. 

Does it come with snowploughs?

• RMweb Gold
On 30/04/2020 at 13:12, tiger said:

I think the model of 26024 in blue is accurate for around 1991, apart from the orange cantrail stripe. This picture here shows 26024 arriving into Waverley with NSE coaching stock next to a Class 311 EMU. How about prototype for anything? But more to the point, it has radio roof pods and a large Scottie dog (although I'm often told it's actually a Westie i.e. West Highland Terrier). There are also DMEE chevrons under the secondman's window which also appear to be depicted on the model.

Cheers,

Tom. 

Indeed it resembles the Westie rather than a Scottish Terrier, the pedigree of which has long hair skirts, not unlike a tram engine, a pronounced beard, and a 'long face'...

True Westies, of course, are always white and have a more rotund looking face.

The logo, to me is definitely a Westie.

Best

Scott.

Edited by scottystitch
  • Like 1

On 12/05/2020 at 09:06, John M Upton said:

Does it come with snowploughs?

Both my Blue and Railfreight came with plough for one end each- think that's due to having to remove the NEM "box" to fit so one for each end would prevent coupling to anything

My blue one even came with the  indicator disks it lost on refurb!  Disks& plough all supplied painted

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

My red stripe Railfreight example arrived this morning. 

Since its arrival, those offending numerals were removed straight away, now numbered 26035, she has been dogged, striped and the cab front flashes relocated. 

The couplings are way too long, will source some short ones soon and the snowploughs need sorting (I had two pairs in my small parts packet)

20200514_155402.jpg.dd5b5c339df747ad1b032edd30fb607b.jpg

20200514_155448.jpg.573a0d0243a4ab6a1c5bca6196fabf04.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi John, any chance of a peak under the body? Curious to see what Dapol have done with the electronics!

Cheers, 

Tom.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1