Snow Event in Flagstaff, AZ

RFS

• RMweb Gold

There's a major snow event happening at this time in Flagstaff which has a live Virtual Railfan feed on Youtube  here .

The problem is compounded by a serious derailment to the east (not caused by snow) that has meant no trains running until about midnight our time. Be interesting to see how this develops!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Thanks for that heads-up;  I ran that feed in the background last night, and clicked back to it when the railway crossing bells rang.  Fascinating watching the movements, and even the comment bar was useful for background.  Cheers!

On 25/01/2021 at 14:12, Dagworth said:

Wow, bit different to when I was there summer 2019! 

We had snow at the depot in Flagstaff in early October in 2013.

Nice to see a different world and useful to see the chat.  

I tried a couple of other cameras, Fort Madison has the wide sweep of the river and Waupaca has a foundry with a trip goods in the afternoons around 3. See good old fashioned shunting in real time - a rather different H&S regime too.  

The cameras have a 12 hour loop so you can scroll back and watch earlier action. Some trains have 80 cars.

Here's Waupaca where the temp is minus 8 at 1300 CST

About twenty years ago I was doing a touring holiday and arrived in Flagstaff for an overnight stay, intending to drive to the Grand Canyon the next day. It was a glorious sunny evening, maybe 20C. I liked the town, too. 

The next morning I woke up to a foot of snow and freezing temperatures. The change was extraordinary. 

And the GC looked amazing in the snow. :)

Paul

• Like 1