B&K Signals

Hi everyone, my first posting !!

I have inherited some cast metal signals. The name cast on the bottom is "B&K Made in England". One is complete and painted and looks professionally done. I have a number of others that are unpainted and unfinished just pole and base, i.e. no arms, operating rods or ladders. Does anyone know if they are still being made possibly under a different name as I can't find anything on the net. Or does anyone have a suggestion as to what parts I could use to finish them off? Many thanks for any comments.

Jeff.

On 26/01/2021 at 12:18, JA_Bucks said:

Hi everyone, my first posting !!

I have inherited some cast metal signals. The name cast on the bottom is "B&K Made in England". One is complete and painted and looks professionally done. I have a number of others that are unpainted and unfinished just pole and base, i.e. no arms, operating rods or ladders. Does anyone know if they are still being made possibly under a different name as I can't find anything on the net. Or does anyone have a suggestion as to what parts I could use to finish them off? Many thanks for any comments.

Jeff.

Might be worth taking a photo and attaching it here so we can all see what signals they look like.

There are quite a few commercial ones so it might be a case of buying one of those and using parts or even 3D printing some others that could fit.

• RMweb Gold

Obvious finishing off suggestion is the Ratio/Parkside bracket kit, which contains all sorts of bits including doll posts and arms.  Fiddly though.

I'm wondering if these have anything to do with the old 'Britains' models, in which case they are a good few years old!

Unfortunately no longer produced, they do still pop up from time to time from second-hand traders at exhibitions, and on eBay. I pondered buying some a couple of years back, until I saw the castings. There was more flash than metal for the actual parts.

There is a lot of two (slightly cleaner-looking) kits on eBay just now - a double (home/distant) and a bracket signal (which can be built either left- or right-diverging).

The instructions tell you to rivet the signal together using a steel anvil!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B-K-2x-vintage-OO-Signal-kits-Double-Arm-Left-Hand-Junction-metal/353354559905

That's the ones, apart from the fully made up one all I have is the uprights and brackets (assembled). Looking at the other parts I'm almost glad I don't have them. I agree the parts would take a lot of sorting. I will look at the Ratio kit. Thanks for your responses.