Braeside Models: The Scratchbuild Commissions of Brian McCulloch

"Today we are looking through the square window"

This weekend was spent playing with ideas for batch-making windows.

It is important that I can make all sorts of custom windows without having to sub-contract the cutting or printing.

To this end,  I recently took to using a bow pen to draw glazing bars and my hobby cutter has added the ability to accurately cut batches of window frames and sashes.

Here are the results.db-gqs-windows-02-INSTAGRAM.jpg.5e1ca522068b1b6dcba6a48ee9819417.jpgdb-gqs-windows-03.jpg.80d99a73debbaf28f90ecbfff89c0d88.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Whilst playing with various options on my hobby cutter, I made this sign as part of the  'scene setting for Glasgow Queen Street. As discussed before, the letter spacing is rather odd but prototypical - at least as far as David's modelling period is concerned.

It too will get some paint!

db-gqs-signage-01a.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

On 21/02/2021 at 04:02, Enterprisingwestern said:

Shouldn't it have a red jacket and lime green trousers, or am I thinking of someone else?

Architectural modelling of the highest degree.

Mike.

Michael Portico? Definitely the same guy - I'm just mixing up some lime green corduroy to clash horribly with the red.

• Funny 4

Good progress has been made with painting the station office for my client David's ambition to recreate Glasgow Queen Street.

A view of the roof - chimneys yet to be painted.

db-gqs-paintwork-01a.jpg.9101bfb2c904d339de3f409afa1fb523.jpg

The main entrance via the 'Michael Portico' 

db-gqs-paintwork-01b.jpg.622d8eb198e7e88a00a637b934d1c21c.jpg

A view of the building from West George Street

db-gqs-paintwork-01c.jpg.f58d836fa35a5b3bec4d2fa8735728c5.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

1 minute ago, brylonscamel said:

Whilst in the midst of commission work, I managed to update a coupe of the dioramas that I built, ostensibly to showcase the resin-cast croft cottages that I am making.

One of them will be an opportunity to put a ruined version into a freelance Highland scene. You'll have to excuse me the bizarre motive power as I have very little in the way of rolling stock at home. Nearly everything is with my father and our 'Braeside' layout. 

bm-diorama-hillside (40).jpg

bm-diorama-hillside-test-track-FLICKR-01.jpg

bm-diorama-hillside-test-track-INSTA.jpg

bm-diorama-hillside-test-track-INSTA-01.jpg

That is lovely modelling Brian, and well presented too.

it would have been a hell of a slog to get that wee tank loco all the way up there!

Cheers

David

3 minutes ago, David Bell said:

.. it would have been a hell of a slog to get that wee tank loco all the way up there!

.. and I guess they would have had to stop frequently to raid the coal supplies in the wagons! In fact it has all the hallmarks of some sort of train-rustling crime!

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Funny 2

The station office rises from the ashes.

As I've previously documented, David Bell's idea to commission buildings for his ambitious model of Glasgow Queen Street netted me the task of making this beautiful neo-classical station office.

Apart from a couple of touch-ups here and there, it's finished and I made a reproduction of the old station sign to accompany it.

db-gqs-paintwork-03.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

2 hours ago, billywhizz said:

The stone work looks stunning. What paint / method did you use to get the effect?

regards. 
Bill. 

Thanks for the feedback Bill.
I don't do anything out-of-the ordinary

• I start with a coat of rattle-can white primer to seal the clay. 
  • The paintwork is done by hand using modellers acrylics (Vallejo) and brushes.
  • I use washes of colour (thinned with acrylic medium) to start and then brush lightly in different shades to pick out individual stones. 
  • The mortar course is the last thing and that is done by smoothing a very lightweight filler into the courses, wiping away excess filler with a damp cloth.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

Thanks for the feedback Bill.
I don't do anything out-of-the ordinary

• I start with a coat of rattle-can white primer to seal the clay. 
  • The paintwork is done by hand using modellers acrylics (Vallejo) and brushes.
  • I use washes of colour (thinned with acrylic medium) to start and then brush lightly in different shades to pick out individual stones. 
  • The mortar course is the last thing and that is done by smoothing a very lightweight filler into the courses, wiping away excess filler with a damp cloth.

Thanks for the info. Very useful to know. 
looking forward to seeing further progress. 

• Like 1

Highland Hillside

I made a little 'Highland' diorama to showcase some resin cast croft cottages that I'm making. Partly, I'm learning to use scenic materials to wander outside my comfort zone and stagger about trying to create a natural environment. It can be placed in front of a test track to reproduce railway scenes. Here are some without the railway ..

bm-diorama-hillside-test-track-INSTA-09.jpg.d0e8a9935929e9e3281af612fcf15841.jpg

bm-diorama-hillside-test-track-FLICKR-06.jpg

bm-diorama-hillside-test-track-INSTA-11.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

On 09/03/2021 at 17:15, brylonscamel said:

Highland Hillside

I made a little 'Highland' diorama to showcase some resin cast croft cottages that I'm making. Partly, I'm learning to use scenic materials to wander outside my comfort zone and stagger about trying to create a natural environment. It can be placed in front of a test track to reproduce railway scenes. Here are some without the railway ..

bm-diorama-hillside-test-track-INSTA-09.jpg.d0e8a9935929e9e3281af612fcf15841.jpg

These croft cottages are normally known as "but n bens"

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/But_and_ben

It probably had a division wall between the two rooms and definitely would have chimney breasts.

Looks good though!

2 hours ago, Portchullin Tatty said:

These croft cottages are normally known as "but n bens"

True, my Dad always refers to them as but 'n bens!

The cottage you saw have collapsed chimneys and I guess a wooden internal wall that's rotted away.

I also made this version with complete stacks, which reminds me,  I must put some chimney pots in!

bm-croft-ruin-painted-01.jpg.e8c75a23abc2c3c096730ccd9f7e49c7.jpg

.. and mix and match ends to make up something like this ..

27150503305_b1d658b209_h.jpg.9f3b261e4be9f4d9875eecbb407ede9a.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Prototype photographs not allowed!

.. Mike, is that an RMWeb rule? Oh - hang on a minute, you know that last photo was of a real building? I'm flattered either way!

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1