Braeside Models: The Scratchbuild Commissions of Brian McCulloch

• 3 weeks later...

Merry Christmas to all the friends of 'Braeside Models' and the RMWeb characters that have joined in with their contributions.

Here's to all the various model-makers, artists, cranks, crafters, railway-enthusiasts and lovers of small things.

I aim to make 2022  another year of miniature adventures.

Cheers from Brian & Max the border collie.

greetings-card-02d.jpg.ab496270d5b3aa022e6c0c233ff269b2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Tiny shelters for the West Highland Railway

I took a delightful commission to reproduce the platform shelters at Arrochar & Tarbet on the West Highland.

The models are tiny but have the distinctive style seen at multiple locations along the line. 

The shelters that stand today are a repurposed platform-mounted signal cabin and a recently built shelter, based on the same style.

Here are some photos of the models under construction, using mostly sheet and embossed styrene.

bm-at-platform-shelters-01.jpg.18ad7c09604a1a7d736c389036bfe374.jpg

bm-at-platform-shelters-02.jpg.12f8d8d71a3730b124f0efc8e0958fe7.jpg

bm-at-platform-shelters-03.jpg.7ebcd8018da055dea5cdaa61d1e33792.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

Here they are as painted models, with roof and internal details added ..

bm-at-platform-shelters-04-RMWEB.jpg.8230ff9db528de0c6b65de05f802a06a.jpgbm-at-platform-shelters-04a.jpg.518bc27afd9752486de7c5c53642d5dc.jpgbm-at-platform-shelters-04b.jpg.a8d3c698fc09810117f321becc8acc23.jpg

Someone is lucky, they are superb. The brickwork looks very good, is it a trade secret or can I ask what sheets they are? I note a simple greyish/dark mortar - simple but effective!

20 hours ago, Mikkel said:

The brickwork looks very good, is it a trade secret or can I ask what sheets they are? 

No trade secrets! I think the embossed sheets are all SE Finecast but the plain bond might be Slaters. The only thing I do extra to prep them is abrade the surface with a fine grit. This takes away some of the 'bubble' shape that is inevitable with vacuum formed material. The brick courses are just flooded with a bit of colour during painting. I mostly use acrylics for paintwork.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1