I want to build a bridge using plasticard. Any tips or useful treads you can point me to

Hi.

To date I have built all my buildings using paper and card.

I want to build a bridge using plasticard, which will be the first time I have used this material.

Have you any tips or have there been any memorable threads you can point me to that deal with building using this.

Many thanks

Steve

You might want to get a bit more specific with the type of bridge you are thinking about.

Scalescenes do some nice bridges that can be made in paper and card.  There's a steel girder bridge that I made using plastic strip instead of the supplied paper print.

John

51 minutes ago, brossard said:

You might want to get a bit more specific with the type of bridge you are thinking about.

Scalescenes do some nice bridges that can be made in paper and card.  There's a steel girder bridge that I made using plastic strip instead of the supplied paper print.

John

I want to rebuild this and extend it using plasticard.

IMG_20210126_153528.jpg.e1c6d3c4548d4c350180c08dbe12ed0b.jpg

That looks very good.  You don't say what the origin is but it resembles the Scalescenes kit:

https://scalescenes.com/product/r012a-plate-girder-bridge/

I built the jack arch version:

P1010107.JPG.6e70a7d360c0a27d33f382b7d0bd0c1a.JPG

I blew it up to 7mm scale.  For the steel parts I used the prints as templates to get the plates and so on  made, then glued them together as advised in the instructions.  I left the rest of the bridge in paper and card but you can replace the printed parts with plastic sheet and embossed brick.  I used Archer rivet transfers (you'll need several packs) to represent the fastenings.

As a first try I made the steel girder bridge:

P1010108.JPG.4e9fd74c1f388d708b4bd8252bd1de79.JPG

P1010109.JPG.7d808d5a5a530e487a1904cc49554366.JPG

It is not bad but needs better relief and would work better in plastic.

The kit isn't expensive and provides a technically feasible structure.

John

• Like 1

If I was to do it I'd use Evergreen or Slaters plastic sheet for the structure and stick embossed brick (Slaters or Southeast Finecast) to the surface.  Mixing materials may warp since card absorbs moisture and plastic doesn't.

John

Almost forgot, you should have a look at the range of Wills kits and material packs:

https://anticsonline.uk/Category/Wills-Lineside-Kits_N2137

Edited by brossard
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...