Slide bars an crossheads

Hello 

I'm about to build a chassis for a modified hall and I was wondering if there is any good crossheads an slide bars available I've used comet before they are very good but they look a little small an under scale. 

Any help will be much appreciated

Kind regards Neil

I think you'll find these crossheads and slidebars are for BR and LMS engines, they certainly aren't a GW design. Consequently, they won't have the length of slidebar to cover the stroke of the engine.  I could be mistaken, but don't think I am. There are lots of spares for OO Halls on Peters spares. Start there, it will be cheaper.

Mike

The Modified Hall slide bars and con rods are some meaty bits of kit, not dainty effeminate Gresley style, but no messing about Churchward style.    see pic of Bert and Agnes Hall..

I used Nickle Silver rail as the basis for slide bars to replace the broken plastic slide bars on an Airfix / Hornby etc 61XX    I found making the mounting bracket or brace is the difficult bit, it goes outside on the 2-6-0 and 2-6-2T  and inside on the 4-6-0.   Its a big lump, and the crosshead passes it at approximately half of the cylinder stroke.   Unlike the 2-6-2T it is not in line with the boiler bracket which almost holds the front of the boiler  Trying to make the slide bars work without a decent brace is really challenging.

Edit.   Looking at the pic nobody ever seems to model the shield behind the slide bars which partly covers the rear bogie wheel and hides the fact that "Unmodified" Halls, Granges, Manors, Saints etc don't actually have anything much behind the slide bars as the plate frames end at the front of the driving wheels, Modified Halls and Counties do have full length plate frames.  Few people model the filled in spoke in line with the crank pin either, think I'll  reach for the  superglue and do some spoke filling later

1245910065_Screenshot(157).png.50caf36ee3ac5f4c381b23acd64e6112.png

Edited by DavidCBroad
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Quick google came up with these.

https://www.crtkits.co.uk/product.php/395609/

I know Brassmasters do an etch kit for the Hall but I think it would be a bit pricey just to get the right crossheads/slidebars when its possible the Hornby/Bachmann ones from Peter's Spares might do the trick!

https://www.petersspares.com/Hornby-x603-hall-piston-rod-x-head-left-hand.ir

https://www.petersspares.com/Hornby-x6641-class-49xx-4900-hall-cylinder-block-plain-black.ir