Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Thought experiment - if you were starting an entirely new range of UK model trains, what would you start?

Assume you were creating a new range of UK model trains in a scale previously uncatered to for the UK (think Z etc., though the actual scale doesn't matter*). What would you start with to provide maximum coverage/appeal with as little products as possible?

*Assume it's a scale where large tender engines are viable products, though

TT gauge is underated and the missing sweet spot in my opinion, track will be more realistic looking ready to plant plug and play dcc version  (think of kato unitrack but weathered).  Couplings will be a smaller version of kadee buckeyes, rtr stock made to rapido like standards, A3/A4 and matching coaches, 08, 37, 47 with mk1s and some simple airbraked era wagons.

• Like 7
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, davebem said:

TT gauge is underated and the missing sweet spot in my opinion, track will be more realistic looking ready to plant plug and play dcc version  (think of kato unitrack but weathered).  Couplings will be a smaller version of kadee buckeyes, rtr stock made to rapido like standards, A3/A4 and matching coaches, 08, 37, 47 with mk1s and some simple airbraked era wagons.

16 minutes ago, Legend said:

I’d go TT  and to introduce the range . An HST with Mk3s , a class 66 and some hoppers  and maybe a 37/47 . Later on I’d have A3/A4/Jinty  mk1s and trucks . 

Shirley you mean 3mm?

• Funny 1

At first thoughts, I don't think I can give much of an answer strictly to the criteria laid out in the OP.

This is mainly due to two points.

I would like to end up with at least a little more money that I started with.

I think that would involve a "larger scale" than those we currently have on tap.

Do large tender engines (is that large tenders or large engines with tenders) fit the above?

1 hour ago, friscopete said:

16.5 narrow gauge .I would start with a Quarry Hunslet .

On a similarly narrow gauge note, but perhaps a bit less conventional, I would do some 15 inch minimum gauge stuff. I’m thinking probably 12mm gauge in 1:32 scale (almost spot on and used by Gauge 1 etc. as well, good size compromise between 09 and Gn15). First loco would be Heywood’s ‘Katie’ and appropriate rolling stock: https://locomotive.fandom.com/wiki/Katie

I would look to revive or 'reinvent' the Triang narrow gauge range of BIG BIG trains; radio controlled rechargeable battery powered steam outline and diesel outline locos, the V skip wagons, some other small general purpose wagons and open/closed coaches, and perhaps a tanker wagon. Accessories would include a working crane, mineral loading and unloading facilities, a water storage tank and loading crane (to fill tanker wagons!) and - shock horror - r/c vehicles to match, such as a flat bed lorry and a tipper wagon.

Moulded plastic  "set track" panels and points to allow temporary or semi permanent layouts to be easily constructed, and waterproof so they could be used in the garden.

The aim? Squarely aimed at the "toy" market for children with lots of play value to encourage them into the hobby. Plus basically realistic enough to also be used as narrow gauge garden layout fodder for more serious modellers fancying something quirky for the garden - delivering sandwiches and nibbles at the summer BBQ, for example?!

I'll admit - I keep looking on eBay at the occasional BIG BIG train items and try to justify to myself buying them! 

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

If I was starting off as a manufacturer in 00 Gauge I would pick a small  industrial maybe a manning wardle 0-6-0ST that would give me multiple liveries to churn out, long lived and pretty much can be justified by most people. 

My next locomotive would be a small tank engine from one of the big four. I feel like model rails E1 is a good shout so I’ll use it as example. As it’s long lived, had lots of liveries and with little bit history bending could appear anywhere on the former SR. 

Finally I’d tackle a tender engine. The one I’d pick would the former SR Q class. As it’s inside cylinder so no complicated valve, is complimented by released by Bachmann, Hornby and Kernow.

Then I’d start looking further afield. 

Big James

• Like 2

I would go modern image probably 3mm - its still the scale that got away. More importantly I would design the loco chassis for battery powered radio control. Just think - perfect running every time and no need to wire or clean the track. No frog juicers and no need for stay alive. The radio control could also control some sounds such as whistles and brakes. The technology is there and could be made small enough but the model railway manufacturers just aren't interested in taking that big step. When you drive a BPRC loco with no power to the track you really are driving the loco not the track and somehow it does feel better.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

GW broad gauge.  New baulk track would be needed so it could be any scale you like, but 4mm is most likely to take advantage of RTP.  It needs to be something nobody else is doing, 

I agree that on board battery or rechargeable power on dead track is the future, but suspect that NFC control has more potential then radio. 

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

I agree with Big James about the Manning Wardle. There were various smilar designs of 0-6-0ST contractors engines that were in use for decades in all sorts of settings  and could legitimately appear in a huge range of liveries. Can't believe a manuafacturer isn't looking at them in light of the the current interest in RTR industrial locomotives.

I'd also look at RTR narrow gauge. 009 is in the ascendant at the moment but, given the popularity of RTR O gauge, I think there might be a market for RTR O16.5 too. So a Quarry Hunslet or a Simplex in O16.5 (but easily convertible to O14) might be a place to start.

Edited by PatC
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I would start with a Kerr Stuart 'Victory' 0-6-0T in 00 gauge. Oh wait...

As much as it would be great to have RTR 016.5, my feeling is that the market just isn't there in comparison to 009. Would be delighted to be proved wrong though. 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I'd not release a single model until every aspect had been agreed by everyone on every forum. That way you won't need to spend money on shipping, boxes or tooling.

That's very wise.  Would it have a flickering firebox?

• Funny 1

I agree that 3mm scale RTR would be just right. I saw a lovely layout in this scale at an exhibition and thought the scale was very good. To me N gauge looks just too small, but for some reason 3mm scale looked much larger and not much smaller than 00. Also 1 to 100 seems appropriate, although logically there is no reason for it. This scale would allow decent main line layouts in the size of spare bedrooms in modern houses. But it must have a nearly correct track gauge.

Robert

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cornelius said:

As much as it would be great to have RTR 016.5, my feeling is that the market just isn't there in comparison to 009. Would be delighted to be proved wrong though. 

I don't think they quite fit the OP's requirements as they don't have scope for large UK outline tender engines, but 016.5 and @SteveyDee68's system are about the only suggestions that make much sense to me.  Everything else is just gap-filling for the sake of it.

The advantage of 009 is that you can have a roundy type layout in almost no space at all. Perhaps that would scale up for the folk who are moving to 0 for their standard gauge models?

I believe BIG BIG train ran on 0 gauge track?  So you have a budget rtr SM32 which might also have some appeal to adult users as an outdoor system.  Easy convertibility to 45mm gauge for compatibility with LGB would be sensible.