Ffarquhar as illustrated by C. Reginald Dalby

Now of course I need to put it somewhere.

I'm think on my chest of drawers, though to be honest it's the only space I have so it'll have to do!

The space I have to work with is approximately 4ft 2×1ft 2.

I am very much a beginner but I am learning as I go, onwards to glory!

IMG_20210126_232835_389.jpg

• Like 3

Interesting project, Anthony! I have been brushing up on ‘The Railway Series’ with a view to creating an Awdry inspired shelf layout for when the grandchildren are able to visit once more! Been collecting some items for a few years... maybe it will happen this year? Good luck with your progress!

Marlyn

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The Rev Awdrys books and Dolby’s illustrations , and the later illustrators succeeded in capturing idyllic England . Rolling pastures , great scenery in the books . They certainly have a charm , a bit like these old Peco backscenes . 

On 06/02/2021 at 21:40, Marly51 said:

Interesting project, Anthony! I have been brushing up on ‘The Railway Series’ with a view to creating an Awdry inspired shelf layout for when the grandchildren are able to visit once more! Been collecting some items for a few years... maybe it will happen this year? Good luck with your progress!

Marlyn

Thank you, I'm sure yours will look splendid!

On 07/02/2021 at 12:19, paulbb said:

I will follow with interest, the low relief station building looks nice...is it scratch built or ready to plant?

Eventually I'm planning to scratch build it, but in the meantime I will be using a ready-made building

On 07/02/2021 at 17:08, Legend said:

The Rev Awdrys books and Dolby’s illustrations , and the later illustrators succeeded in capturing idyllic England . Rolling pastures , great scenery in the books . They certainly have a charm , a bit like these old Peco backscenes . 

Agreed!

• 2 weeks later...

This looks an interesting project and, as someone who owes his interest in model railways, to the Rev W Awdry stories, I will be following with interest. I am interested to know the origin of the station building you have and who makes it. 

Due to the size of the layout, you may want to consider some of the new Bachmann Thomas range. Although it is marketed as 00, some of the items seem more HO and may help you to get a greater feeling of space.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/02/2021 at 12:29, andyram said:

This looks an interesting project and, as someone who owes his interest in model railways, to the Rev W Awdry stories, I will be following with interest. I am interested to know the origin of the station building you have and who makes it. 

Due to the size of the layout, you may want to consider some of the new Bachmann Thomas range. Although it is marketed as 00, some of the items seem more HO and may help you to get a greater feeling of space.

The station building you see there is a temporary one, it was made by Tomy.

Your quite right about the Bachmann models, but I'm looking for a bit more datail so I will mainly be using Hornby models. Though certainly down the line I would like the get some of the Bachmann ones.

You need to be careful with the Bachmann Thomas. As it's based on  the TV models which in turn were based on Dalby's (incorrect) drawings, the front and rear buffer beams are different heights and so Thomas has no front coupling, which isn't much use on an end-to-end layout!

(In the books, Thomas had to have an 'accident' and go to Crovan's Gate to have a new front end so that Peter & Gunvor Edwards could draw him correctly!)

I'm not quite sure how the Walmington-on-Sea platoon have wound up on Sodor, though.... ;-) 

On 27/02/2021 at 20:26, RJS1977 said:

You need to be careful with the Bachmann Thomas. As it's based on  the TV models which in turn were based on Dalby's (incorrect) drawings, the front and rear buffer beams are different heights and so Thomas has no front coupling, which isn't much use on an end-to-end layout!

(In the books, Thomas had to have an 'accident' and go to Crovan's Gate to have a new front end so that Peter & Gunvor Edwards could draw him correctly!)

I'm not quite sure how the Walmington-on-Sea platoon have wound up on Sodor, though.... ;-) 

Yes that's true about about the couplings, but if I ever do get the Bachmann models I'll probably get Toby and Mavis and they have couplings on both sides.

As for the Walmington-on-Sea platoon, well that is a story for another time...

58 minutes ago, AnthonyN said:

Yes that's true about about the couplings, but if I ever do get the Bachmann models I'll probably get Toby and Mavis and they have couplings on both sides.

As for the Walmington-on-Sea platoon, well that is a story for another time...

I have tested the new Thomas models and have been very impressed. Although they do not feature a front coupling, the fittings are present for attaching a coupling to.

• Friendly/supportive 1