Station Lamps

MOH

Hi,

Anyone got recommendations on where to source station platform lamps to be used on 00 scale which would chime with he late 50's early 60's era, open confession, I did purchase a bundle from China but those were useless and also purchased a bunch through Amazon, again presumably originated from China, and those were way over sized and wrongly described, these lamps are for lighting up and need to be 3volt leds.

Many of the cheap Chinese bundles of lights claim to be 12v but are not. Some are not even led but GoW bulbs.

I have a pack of 20 for a fiver post & packing free and they are fine as I have spliced a 1k ohm resistor into each led feed wire.

On 27/01/2021 at 03:28, MOH said:

Hi,

Anyone got recommendations on where to source station platform lamps to be used on 00 scale which would chime with he late 50's early 60's era, open confession, I did purchase a bundle from China but those were useless and also purchased a bunch through Amazon, again presumably originated from China, and those were way over sized and wrongly described, these lamps are for lighting up and need to be 3volt leds.

Take no notice of the 'gauge', rely on the height to get the right ones.

Dave

• 5 weeks later...

Hi-

if you search for  “yard lamps” in this section, you will find details of construction.

I also made station lamps using the same method. Obviously you don’t need the ladders but  I added ladder rests.

I’ve attached photo.

I added plastic sleeve to the column base for effect and ordered station names inline which I backed with styrene.

Hope this helps

61832E5C-8349-4F6F-99A7-8E1E3551A600.jpeg

Edited by nelly

• RMweb Gold

My Kytes Lites failed after about 6 months operation, and I am currently using Chinese cheapo swan necks off Amazon, battery powered.  They are by and large much too bright for 1950s filament bulb lamps and I have toned them down by painting over the leds with white or cream acrylic.  I've removed the 'globe' diffusers, as these are not really appropriate for platform lamps.  I've been using them for over a year and they are so far reliable, with 3v or 4.5v battery packs.  Batteries last several weeks in normal use, layout in use about 5 days out of 7 in a week, timetable progresses in real time by an analogue battery clock with battery only inserted for operating sessions.

There are several battery operated circuits; platform lamps, yard lamps, NCB, and building interiors, the latter being pound shop party lights, which also appear superglued inside the roof in a two coach auto set.  I don't do night time operation, as there is no effective way yet of having working loco head or train tail/side lamps that can be changed at the terminus of my BLT; I believe DCC Controls do a system involving fibre optic cable for locos, but the lamp cannot be 'changed' for the return working.  Lighting is used to evoke dawn or twilight, or very dull weather, not an unusual occurrence in the South Wales Valleys!

Edited by The Johnster

Many thanks folks,

I eventually sourced lamps from China which happily have a much reduced brightness so no need to add to their opaqueness, however they are probably not really close to any form of prototype but I should confess this layout is purely for recreational and fun purposes with as much emphasis on having stock moving on rails as accuracy of time scale etc., plus it amuses the grandchildren who think it's marvelous to have it lit up.

In total I have fitted something like 400 hundred individual bulbs (in buildings) and lamp fittings using approx. 200 metres of cable all on 3 volt supply,  so it's been a bit of a slog with many, many hours of lying underneath baseboards and retro fitting to buildings to get the job done, of course had I planned things even half properly there would  have been far less hardship but like a lot of people I very much got the horse before the cart and have paid handsomely in time and money for not having the knowledge to do planning, the learning curve has been steep and costly but hey nothing worthwhile comes easy.

My standard of modelling won't win any awards and I have to rely on buy and position for an awful lot of stuff but during this infernal lock down the layout has been a great source of enjoyment and a lot of work has been completed.