To stimulate discussion, post photos and exchange ideas, and (being an open public forum) help encourage others to try S scale modelling.

Brecon and Merthyr Stephenson 2-4-0 locomotive parts and assembly.

Timber

Getting to the handbrake.  This is situated within the bunker.  Using one of Markits' super useful extended handrail knobs, a piece of folded wire makes the handle.  The body then drops into the available 3D printed body and the whole piece is glued inside the bunker.  This will be made more rigid post painting as the coal is added.

markit pin.JPG

markit handle 2.JPG

markit handle 3.JPG

markit handle 4.JPG

Edited by Timber
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Couple of jobs to do at the front of the engine.  The dummy headstock clips in between the buffers and is then secured in place with super glue.  This can be seen in the first photo as a black plastic strip behind the buffer that simulates the wooden buffer beam/headstock.

The vacume pipe that emergies on the prototype between the tank and the boiler is then placed in possition and gently held in place with some spots of solder on the tank edge and under the footplate.  I simply drill a hole close to where the boiler and tank meets, into the boiler as this offers a neat solution rather than desturb the tank and boiler alignment.  You will not notice.

vacume pipe0.JPG

vacume pipe1.JPG

• Like 6

Final stretch now....the brakes need to be added to the chassis.  This is a single 3D printed brake unit that clips to the chassis.

I made an error with the front sand pipes, they needed to be adjusted.  Ideally these should not be shaped until after the brakes are fitted.

brake1.JPG

brake2.JPG

• Like 1

Now for cleaning up all of the excess solder and flux, fit the tank filler caps and hand rails.  The dome and safety valve are a dry fit for this photo and the whistles will be fitted post painting...

Backend also not fitted until painting complete.  Smokebox door handle will be fitted after undercoat.

That is the end of the build.  Off to be painted......

finish2.JPG

finish 1.JPG

finish3.JPG

Edited by Timber
  • Like 8

Job done.

More like "Toy Town" than a super detailed model.  I actually dont think that the B&M would have run a loco in this livery, these engines were primarily used for passenger stock and, therefore, were unlikely to have been painted war time black.  That said it looks smart with its brass dome and the Hornby motor runs very well with alot of power.  It will be a useful conversation piece if I ever get to an exhibition.

That is the end of this post.....all parts are available should anyone want an extra bit of motive power.....soldering iron and a few hand tools is all it takes.  I spent an hour every evening on this and it took four weeks.  In reality it could be done quicker as it is a simple build.

I will post another loco in a few weeks for another set of parts I have put together for a Sharp Stewart Passenger loco..,,,,but first i need to catch up on some other projects...

finish1.JPG

photo1.JPG

photo3.JPG

last.JPG

Edited by Timber
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 10 months later...

Highlevel motor and gearbox ordered. Markits order in on old school paper order form in the post. Not had a response to numerous emails to unwilling to send my card details to an unreposnsive address. Let's see what arrives. I think I've got the right bits.

• Like 1

The thing that you will need direct from Markits are the 1/8 brass rectangular brass bearings.  Markits are pretty responsive by phone.   If he is there and he answers the phone then he usually gets things out to you same day.  Try for a couple of days - if no response then email me direct and I can drop 4 bearings in the post.

Anything else go through Roxey Moldings they have a stock of Markit components but i have always had to buy the bearings direct.  

Alternatively you could use High level Hornblacks.  I have started using these on some other engines but the hornblocks will need to be aligned and the compensation beams altered.  The Markit path is the easiest.  

Edited by Timber
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...