Tunstead Moor Sidings - A scenic shunting layout

Took a little time today to start painting other areas. Such as the lamp shed, water tower and bridge. I use a method that starts with a dirty base to build on with acrylics and powders. Washing back if needed. So everything is now grime coloured.

20210919_194855.jpg.5d008e1f954b917444beeac38afa933a.jpg

Edited by Ighten
  • Like 10

20210921_092839.jpg.1f6ced841ca01ab5b25c8935488b5456.jpg

As usual more time seems to be spent photographing and shunting than doing any modelling. It does help reveal areas that need attention though. There is a section still waiting ballast and grass and I need to think what this bridge is actually  covering. I have some photos  of a similar real life setup where the bridge is only straddling a rocky outcrop from which water a stream flows.Its just I have never tackled water before though the reeds are in what will be the stream bed waiting. As the gorse is in summer bloom perhaps  I will say the streams dried up.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Ighten said:

There is a section still waiting ballast and grass and I need to think what this bridge is actually  covering........ the gorse is in summer bloom perhaps  I will say the streams dried up.

Hi there Ighten, this little layout is looking really good. I'm glad you "tweaked" the design from the original too. I think this looks better. This demonstrates the true value of a forum such as RMweb too - putting ideas out there, and getting feedback, help & advice from others is what it's all about :) 

I like the idea of a dried-up stream / river bed too. That's something you don't see modelled too often.

• 1 month later...

So it's been another long break away from home and the model  for a while. Main change you may have noticed in the video is I settled on a simple cloudy sky from ID backscenes which I luckily managed to pick up for a bargain price as part of a sheet was missing.  Slight issue with the lefthand side of my landscape being glued to the backscene (not sure how that happened oops) so some surgery was required.

Anyway thought I would post a more overview image of the layout. And talk about what's to be done next.

20211106_154343.jpg.ad2800e24879f989c2c100944fd6d425.jpg

Obviously there an area left center that I just can't decide what to do with. It was originally going to be a shed for the engine for service and overnight but it seemed to prominant and in your face when I put a mock up in position so any ideas are welcome. Stream bed needs it's dark wash before resin goes in. All the track bed needs a wash with tamiya earth to blend it in with the ballast better and detailing in the form of spare sleepers general trackside stuff needs adding. A signal needs fitting before the bridge to indicate that this yard is just down from the Station off scene. More fencing to enclose the area once I decide on the missing section. And more painting and airbrushing. The winter nights will just fly by.

Edited by Ighten
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ighten said:

So it's been another long break away from home and the model  for a while. Main change you may have noticed in the video is I settled on a simple cloudy sky from ID backscenes which I luckily managed to pick up for a bargain price as part of a sheet was missing.  Slight issue with the lefthand side of my landscape being glued to the backscene (not sure how that happened oops) so some surgery was required.

Anyway thought I would post a more overview image of the layout. And talk about what's to be done next.

20211106_154343.jpg.ad2800e24879f989c2c100944fd6d425.jpg

Obviously there an area left center that I just can't decide what to do with. It was originally going to be a shed for the engine for service and overnight but it seemed to prominant and in your face when I put a mock up in position so any ideas are welcome. Stream bed needs it's dark wash before resin goes in. All the track bed needs a wash with tamiya earth to blend it in with the ballast better and detailing in the form of spare sleepers general trackside stuff needs adding. A signal needs fitting before the bridge to indicate that this yard is just down from the Station off scene. More fencing to enclose the area once I decide on the missing section. And more painting and airbrushing. The winter nights will just fly by.

You could put the foundations of the former shed in that location, and perhaps even a water crane.

• Like 2

• Ighten changed the title to 4mm inglenook - Tunstead Moor Sidings

Some great ideas. Never thought about my water needing a source and I do have a stream. Will give it some thought. Realised after reading the Grywllhst thread I need other detailing bits so point levers are on order and thank you for the inspiration. That also goes to all on this site. 

20211112_093951.jpg.34969372bc8d787d4f39162c87178cd2.jpg

We now have  a full rewire tidy up and an accessory loop so lighting is being added. These are from Express models. A yard light I also on its way. As for now I'm heading to the first show for years at Colne to get some more inspiration from a layout thats very local to me

• Like 6

On 20/11/2021 at 09:59, Ighten said:

. As for now I'm heading to the first show for years at Colne to get some more inspiration from a layout thats very local to me

Which was not at the layout :( -- A slight niggle as there was a cpl of things to enjoy but  I wish clubs would actually update the website/facebook it only takes seconds..

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

So if you remember (before I had yet another hiatus - sailing again) I was really wanting to fill that hole left of center with a little height and structure.. I grabbed a few things from the scrap box the first being an old wills signal box which seemed a good idea as the planking matched  the goods shed and kept things together theme and colour wise but it was just tooo solid. It blocked the view and became dominate.

DSC09634.jpg.069d943b8dbe3314cc145824f65cc13d.jpg

I was quite taken with a layout (whose name I forget) I had seen which had a beautiful (dart casting I think) brass etched wind pump - but I think it may be beyond my soldering skills so I decided in the mean time to throw together the old Dapol water tank. I have built this kit before for a previous layout but I dont remember it being so deformed before - I seemed to spend half the time straightening practically every moulding. Anyway I like the impression of something you can look through but I still think this is too big and imposing (it also seems a little overkill for a bunch of sidings this size - but artistic liberty comes first). I took it away and repainted it from the weathered cream and green I have chosen to model it as a out of use and rusting away. Its only had the initial coat at this point - I still think it looks a little like a tripod from war of the worlds though and may be too big :). I'll see how it looks when the ground around it is completed and I I weather it and add some etched ladders and details. Other wise I'll see if any one wants it at the local shop.

DSC09628.jpg.0af5a08e1fcf88211a0a6047dc67951b.jpg

Another job I must get around too is extending and bushing out the  hawthorn trees at the back so they hide where I had to cut around for the  backscene (if you remember for some reason - possibly involving shiraz I attached that piece of scenery to the backscene board before I had put the backscene in place...

• Like 10

Little bit of work on the tower and hiding the backscene cuts.... Still more to do.. Every time I photo I see another bit of backscene that needs attention (and dont get me started on the bubbles).. The tower needs a final wash before switching to oils to put rust streaks on it.. Then its a case of deciding if it goes or stays.

DSC09670.JPG.846654e52cc44e80e65a23cc0b71dde1.JPG

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

The 0-6-0 potters around the yard this morning before heading down the branch to collect  todays work .

DSC09681.JPG.51af87e0cf0aac53e140d8500ad155ba.JPG

DSC09682.JPG.aee478ad22c38a04206c135b8e192184.JPG

The keen eyed may spot the fencing has been extended and more brambles seem to be taking over the buffer stops..

DSC09676.JPG.f4dee37ccc7b6ff4f8d905266e75fb3c.JPG

Later a Lima Warship arrives unsure if its being sent for permanent storage or a trip to ebay - Shes in fine working order but the code 80 track does not suit her pizza cutter wheels so she can be heard approaching from many miles away.

(ps doesnt matter what I do I cant delete the last photo?)

DSC09673.JPG.677808654becd4d593d36ebda3c40e77.JPG

DSC09681.JPG

Edited by Ighten
  • Like 7

• 4 months later...

Have you progressed your layout any since 10th March? It's been a while since I've visited, but your thread is another of those that I turn to for inspiration so slightly dismayed that RMWeb hasn't yet managed to replace many of the missing images (sporadic images are still there, but hardly any). I'm setting out to replace missing images in my own threads - as I borrowed one of your early layout plans, I am going to have to keep my fingers crossed that I saved it into my main photo library as no sign of it here!

Looking forward to an update in due course, @Ighten

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @SteveyDee68

I think some some small progress has been made but the months between March and July have been busy (ahem) with holidays and trips abroad. The layout has now just been moved into a more suitable room as it was getting just a little too warm in the top floor room as it's under the eaves and the backscene as you can see has suffered a little.. 

This does give me a little more space so the first job is to extend the cassette system and sliding yard so it accommodate longer trains.

I see what you mean regarding the photos and I'm not sure I kept my own copies.. Anyway here are some from today..

_DSC0579.JPG.9c20f6d90674c7d10b3a851309333535.JPG

_DSC0578.JPG.1735fb68fea927c51a837e2b0385f936.JPG

Edited by Ighten
  • Like 6

I also managed to put up a couple of other vids; one of  those does show off the size (or lack of) of the entire layout a little better. It does have some text sections missing which I never got around to fixing.. So apologies

And if your wondering who Boomer is try here...

Diorama Painting 101| Light and Shadow: Part 2 - YouTube

Edited by Ighten
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

_DSC0580.JPG.9cd4751862736caeaa2a623b7896b49e.JPG

Seem to remember I handpainted some more ground signals.. Though this is just for scenic madness as a yard like this would not have them I am told.

_DSC0581.JPG.769b763d343ce1ee0688aebbb0f955d5.JPG

One suprising thing - the Kernow DJH model runs silky smooth in DC (I must have a fluke one ;) ) but behaves like a lurching jerky horror in DCC.

• Like 8

.. A cpl more I took.. This has I admit become less a simple Inglenook on a plain board and more a rather OTT plank diaroma/scenic layout though the new plans may make it a little too big for this section of the forum as its new position in the house means I could add another board.

_DSC0586.JPG.f58a3d1f7f4dd791e7bbe86306cd0fec.JPG

_DSC0585.JPG.8d90ed69c0f10ffa11209c45ba3b8096.JPG

I have managed to get rid of most creases on the "back" backscene - those two on the sides though are proving more tricky !!!

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

This little visitor appeared this morning from the Ordnance factory which is just up the line past Tunstead High Station. Whilst it was normal for vans from the factory to be left in the Sidings before the final destination, it was quite unusual to see the factory's 48DS beyond its gates; the vans would normally just be collected.

_DSC0601.JPG.885a5742fd872f346ff23ce02f6baa9c.JPG

Edited by Ighten
  • Like 8

But it might be a good idea if the shed supervisor checks his next manifest carefully for how many beer kegs are actually supposed to be on the van for the next mixed goods to pick up tomorrow.

_DSC0602.JPG.86a1ec345152a7a19efdbd857fa7d55a.JPG 

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Have to say the 48DS has been a little delight. Super smooth and reliable over all point work at all speeds and the horrible conflat has yet to leave the box. I do need something more suitable for it to be pushing around though. 

Just one pic for tonight. But not the Runsted.

_DSC1153.JPG.039ae3957a224fb3c9e504dd691ff3b8.JPG

Edited by Ighten
  • Like 6