Cutting Failure at Kidderminster

• RMweb Gold

Reports of landslip at Kidderminster this afternoon.

It appears to be on the Down side at Offmore Road bridge about 400 yards north of the station.

The site is next to the Railway Train pub. From the pictures in the local paper I wonder if there has been some encroachment there?

https://www.kidderminstershuttle.co.uk/news/19047162.train-lines-blocked-landslip-kidderminster/

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
typo
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Checking back on some of the old maps there has been a wall built into the bank at the back of the pub in line with the bridge abutment for at least 130 years. Someone in NR is probably searching for the records of it and its maintenance tonight.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Regardless of ownership that retaining wall should have had regular inspections (not saying it didn't).

Interesting that the fire brigade roped the car to the brick wall. I can't see that holding it so not sure why they did that.

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Interesting that the fire brigade roped the car to the brick wall. I can't see that holding it so not sure why they did that.

Maybe the only thing they could try to fix it to while the recovery crew got either a crane or winch rope attached.

4 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Checking back on some of the old maps there has been a wall built into the bank at the back of the pub in line with the bridge abutment for at least 130 years. Someone in NR is probably searching for the records of it and its maintenance tonight.

Well, judging from the overgrowth on the remainder of that wall (2nd photo in op link) I fail to see how it could have had any maintenance

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Maybe the only thing they could try to fix it to while the recovery crew got either a crane or winch rope attached.

Possibly, but unless there’s a whopping great steel pile down the centre of that brick pier it will be following the car into the cutting...

Darius

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Pure speculation on my part, but that asphalt the car is parked on looks quite new.  If it is a recent parking area created for the car, perhaps a combination of the surcharge load of the parked car and the damp conditions led to the slip...

Darius

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Pure speculation on my part, but that asphalt the car is parked on looks quite new.  If it is a recent parking area created for the car, perhaps a combination of the surcharge load of the parked car and the damp conditions led to the slip...

Darius

If the asphalt is new as you suggest it will quite possibly have been laid using things like a vibrating roller. Likely also   having been dug out and backfilled with hardcore first, again being compacted with vibrating tools.......

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, great central said:

If the asphalt is new as you suggest it will quite possibly have been laid using things like a vibrating roller. Likely also   having been dug out and backfilled with hardcore first, again being compacted with vibrating tools.......

For a small driveway area it may have been laid with smaller tools, but, as I said, this is pure speculation.

Darius

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Possibly, but unless there’s a whopping great steel pile down the centre of that brick pier it will be following the car into the cutting...

Darius

Personally l would have anchored it to the corner pier which would probably give more resistance. As it stood there would still be a chance of dragging it out, a bit of an awkward place to get it slung on a crane with several feet of fresh air under the passenger side. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Darius

7 hours ago, great central said:

5 hours ago, Darius43 said:

For a small driveway area it may have been laid with smaller tools, but, as I said, this is pure speculation.

Darius

Looking at the void under the car, it's probably going to be an insurance write off, I wouldn't want to attempt getting in to release the handbrake if they wantid to drag it out!

Seeing The Signal Engineers post, that's brave stuff!

From the way the slabs have come away, it looks like the asphalt has been merely laid on top of a former concrete driveway to "freshen" it up.  It might have been handrolled, or a small vibro compactor used to finish it.

Edited by Hroth

16 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Regardless of ownership that retaining wall should have had regular inspections (not saying it didn't).

I think the photo gives a false impression.  If you look on Google Earth streetview, the wall is on the far side of the drive from the railway and is a few meters further back from the retaining wall than the pub wall (it is to be hoped the pub is on solid ground).