andyman7

One of the effects of lockdown has been a concerted incentive to work my way through my projects/cripples pile. These are generally 70s/80s D&E models made during the classic BR Blue era that have perhaps been used as Christmas trees, have been the subject of repainting/modification or detailing and have been acquired inexpensively at toy fairs or auctions on a sold as seen/WYSIWYG basis. I have fond memories of these models as they represent what we had to work with back before the China superdetail era. In many cases, relatively straightforward tweaks could be very effective, in particular using photos and research to take a generic model and modify it to reflect a specific example at a specific point in time.

My approach to modelling is not necessarily to aim for perfect superdetail accuracy but instead to go for what looks right. Many of the projects are designed as much to act as set dressing recreating an MPD or yard and working up £10-£30 base models is much better value for this aim than an £100 Bachmann or Heljan offering. Anyway, the seven locos in the image below have all recently been largely completed - a few need some minor finishing touches a some more weathering. The Class 47 is Lima with a CD motor replacement  and separate handrails fitted to the cab ends. The Class 25 is Hornby, with the relevant grilles plated over and ends remodelled to 1970s condition. The 31s are Airfix, one of which has been modified to the unique 31215 with no headcode box or roof grille at one end after repairs to accident damage. There are a pair of Hornby 86s, one with plated over headcode boxes and the other with crossarm pantograph fitted, plus a Lima 87 flushglazed repainted and renumbered. The shades of blue vary slightly depending on whether they are complete repaints or have made use of at least some of the original finish.

•  

IMG_20210128_105953.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

9 hours ago, andyman7 said:

•  

IMG_20210128_105953.jpg

They look fantastic. These are all models I have owned in the past and similarly tinkered with and I miss them all. I remember drooling over the Hornby 25 when the pictures were first released in the Hornby magazine. The days before tinternet eh!

If I hadn't been so stupid as to give them all away decades ago I also could've been using this time to get them up to scratch. Endless hours of fun lost, live and learn!

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

he best colour selection box!

There is actually very little wrong with the Hornby Class 86 body, and it can be made into a cracking model. I still want to finish my Bachby 86/0, although it does require a trip back to Devon to dig it out of long term storage in the rents shed. Part of the backlash against the Heljan 86/2 was because the Hornby version is pretty damn accurate if you ignore, bogies and pantograph.

Lima Class 87 requires a lot more work, but getting a set of Shawplan extreme etchings Class 87 windscreens transforms the face amazingly. Likewise the Hornby 25 is a great base, as are Lima 31’s, if still a little compromised. I’ve not had a look at the Airfix 31’s, truth me told most type 3’s leave me a little cold.

What really gets me is the level of fine detail in the old Lima mouldings, I still have mad ideas about using the Lima 40 body, just for that reason.

Regards

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...