Dcc fitting an old E2

Mr chapman

Hello, after a bit of advice. I'm currently dcc fitting an old Hornby E2. The model has been fitted with a seuth 22 smoke unit for a bit of fun. All installed and it's working but the smoke unit is dead. A quick read of the decoder tells me it's a Hornby unit that apparently doesn't have the grunt for that. 

Is there a particular decoder that works especially well for older models that also has the output power for a smoke unit? And possibly the ability to add stay alive? 

I last played with dcc about... Too many years ago, and now there's so many decoders it's rather confusing. 

What's today's general purpose decoder of choice? Like the ak47 of digital chips? 

Best around and the most commonly recommended: probably Zimo or ESU.    I'm more familiar with Zimo, which start at £20. 

Slightly lower output, but fine, is the "entry price" MX623 (stay alive possible, documented by maker), or for a bit more money, the MX633 has direct hookup for simple 16v rated capacitors. 

Both have settings for smoke generators when connected to a function output, including variable rate of steam (more on hard acceleration, less on coasting to stop), and more - read the Zimo decoder manual (79 pages, download) to set it up.