Boxchester - Grubby vans

9 minutes ago, TechnicArrow said:

Looking very neat and square! I always enjoy building structures this way, it's simple but it works so well.

I'm looking forward to seeing it finished, it should provide a very good "stage entrance" to your layout.

Thanks.  I just need that bit of timber for the back and then I can crack on, which is a bit frustrating.

Still haven't got a picture in my mind's eye as to what sits on top. But I will almost treat that as a separate project.

• 3 weeks later...

This might be of use to someone.

I have been experimenting with weathering brick paper. And after lots of tests I can confirm that artists chalks are the best way.

My brick paper I am building my bridge from is too milky and washed out. So here is the original on the top and treated with chalks on the bottom.

(Picture won't display the right way - but you get the idea)

IMG_20210226_160135.jpg.d37e656d09d9d8cdeb3b0ca9a5acb8a1.jpg

• Informative/Useful 2

I am hoping I can buy my bit of wood tomorrow, as that is what is holding me up.

Once bolted on I can affix the disused engine shed and build my bridge in situ.

Want to get cracking on it. 

Here is my latest weathered loco sat in the grime of Boxchester yard on a quiet Sunday.

Cheers

Steve

IMG_20210228_112829.jpg.9a6966858c4eeb497a71e97b78ac7961.jpg

IMG_20210228_112810.jpg.c20948789915077aeb8b3a9342b3a05f.jpg

IMG_20210228_112748.jpg.971494aa61c289e0bc5a0e360de83b64.jpg

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Area 2. The disused engine shed is largely finished.

Blended in. Would rather have used mud and not weeds, but I needed to cover the glue marks from its previous location.

Tumble down fence is in.

Old red line closed flag is in.

Rusty panel at the back of shed is on.

Tracks rusted leading into the shed.

So 90 percent done. It needs a bit more work, some bushes the track needs to be more subtle. But largely finished.

IMG_20210303_134733.jpg.e3f23af41ee3503b672c421f4af4e766.jpg

IMG_20210303_134741.jpg.ed4cadb59e08a3e0da50d1d4cebf09c2.jpg

IMG_20210303_133336.jpg.75a63b2ef1dc00d0bba45355da967b0c.jpg

IMG_20210303_124743.jpg.5c2ca96f20f6b705e8660320799b5b52.jpg

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Looking great @SouthernBlue80s :) 
You say you have no space.... but to me - that's loads and loads of space! lol ;)

Sorry to hear of your redundancy woes - at least you have been doing some modelling, to take your mind off that... hopefully
This layout is looking great. Conversely, I quite liked the engine shed in its' old position - as since reading Gordon Gravett's first book on 7mm modelling (years ago) - he argued that placing "obstructions" in the foreground, invited viewers to peer around them, and actually breaks up the foreground too. Although this doesn't always work in every situation.... and I also like the engine shed in it's new environs too.... it has more of an air of an abandoned corner.

Looking forward to seeing the new bridge, and I think it will look more convincing when it spans the track at the back too....
Great weathering too, as others have said. One thing I like about this layout, is that if you ever inherited more space (a house extension maybe?) - then you could incorporate the layout into a larger, roundy-roundy layout... yet this still works as a layout in its' own right.

Nice work sir :) 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Marc thank you for your kind words.

When my wife goes out the layout is moved off its cabinets onto the dining room table.

And that gives me the room to work on it and create all manner of mess. When she returns.....it's as nothing has ever happened.

Some of the weathering in the shed area is still a little clumsy for me. It needs a few more details. But I am pleased with its progress.

Area 4. The bridge. I have squared up the board, the back strip of timber is on and base colour painted on.

An extra bit of track stuck on and painted.

Now I have worked out how to weather the brick paper for bridge. I am ready to go.

A few pics, to show how the supports sit. And also a bit of a feel for how you will be able to look through the bridge onto the layout.

I was feeling tired but your encouragement has given me inspiration. So I am going to crack on with it.

Cheers

Steve

IMG_20210303_162717.jpg.b81e7e143e3c7652fae10615b35054f9.jpg

IMG_20210303_162904.jpg.37abe694cc07078662a0f5d35a8eef49.jpg

IMG_20210303_162913.jpg.9081fbaf73844de4338ebff10f31c1b0.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Perhaps I am taking things a bit far. Nice and level ish.

IMG_20210303_185435.jpg.402ca7f61ed23cc1be05a423c32f9399.jpg

Girders weathered. Ready for the big bridge build...my wife surrenders the dining room table on Friday.

IMG_20210303_202346.jpg.49b3782de0476c519ecf2eff001459ff.jpg

Area 1. The fuel point has a touch more rubbish on it.

IMG_20210303_185453.jpg.2b104be4bf5a17f0a51cd5c8370cf2bb.jpg

Area 3. Nothing happening. Thinking of an old station building for the platform. Or low relief buildings on the back edge or perhaps another broken fence and trees. Might make some trees, I have sea foam.

Anyway this is the last area. Area 4 the bridge is next to be finished.

IMG_20210303_162928.jpg.f5592c1331cc5d81feadea3123e6a032.jpg

A better picture of the shed area.

IMG_20210303_185529.jpg.0b06b8bb87b52bc83a4fe899e64b7b98.jpg

And finally thank you for your likes and encouragement.

Cheers

Steve.

Next update. Bridge build/completion.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I'm astounded how even mid-construction, your layout and photographs have buckets of atmosphere - and that's without a loco, wagon, car or even person in sight! The shed looks like it's been there for years already, especially from the yard side, and there's such a wealth of detail that pops out the longer you look at each photo. I can't wait to see your bridge completed!

• Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Hi Marc thank you for your kind words.

When my wife goes out the layout is moved off its cabinets onto the dining room table.

And that gives me the room to work on it and create all manner of mess. When she returns.....it's as nothing has ever happened.......

I was feeling tired but your encouragement has given me inspiration. So I am going to crack on with it.

Cheers

Steve

Hi again Steve,

How well I know the situation re the dining room table! ;) I have done exactly the same thing for years PS. Please don't tell Mrs S - I keep telling her that must be herbs & spices on the floor.... not woodland scenics.... hope she doesn't brush it up one day and add it to anything we're cooking! lol :) 

Thank you too for your kind words re my encouragement. To me, that's what RM web is all about - help with designs, information, data and sharing of hints & tips, and encouragement where it's due... together with chatting with like-minded folk, even if they never actually "meet" in person.

Looking at some of the pics in the thread again, I forgot to add how well the photographic backscene works on this layout. And as others have added - it really does have a great sense of atmosphere.... even with little or no stock on it. I like the clutter around that engine shed too; old rubbish propped against the wall, the corrugated sheet covering most of the window - it all adds to the atmosphere, together with the grime and excellent weathering.

Cheers again, Marc

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coffinhammer said:

Absolutely flying with the remodelling, Steve. Looking really impressive!

I just need a little of your impetus to rub off on me!!

Cheers

Gareth

Yep. It's fits and starts with me too Gareth. Hardly touched it for a year...and now there is no stopping me.

I have a definite end point in my mind's eye. So that helps.

• Like 1

Really liking this , can I ask , if the area behind the platform was omitted what sort of footprint does it take up? , I'm currently stalled on building my main layout but I'm also building another layout which will hopefully be exhibition worthy and has been built around being able to get it in the back of my Vauxhall Astra van so the scenic board is 6 x 1 , I'm just trying to get a feel for what I can fit onto it as I'm stumped at the moment

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

8 hours ago, david51 said:

I have always thought this was one of the best layouts on the RM site. 
It is just going from strength to strength. The rebuilt bridge is brilliant .

More power to your elbow 

David

Thanks. I am currently building the underside of it. 

It is a shame the pictures don't do the weathering justice as it is a lot more subtle in real life, the camera seems to make everything look cruder.

I have made the cable trunking today. Including an exposed section. I stuck each cover down indivdualy as the slight gap between will fill with dirt and make them look more realistic.

Also much of the gravel/mud ground cover has gone on. My way is that I concentrate on getting the texture right first Then I concentrate on getting the colour right.

I am still at the texture stage.

I made really good progress today. It looks like it will come together in a few days.

Other thoughts. No low relief buildings at the back. As I have designed it to be viewed from all four sides.

So a bit of an update  ..... ramblings from Steve.

Edited by SouthernBlue80s
Spelling

2 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

Really liking this , can I ask , if the area behind the platform was omitted what sort of footprint does it take up? , I'm currently stalled on building my main layout but I'm also building another layout which will hopefully be exhibition worthy and has been built around being able to get it in the back of my Vauxhall Astra van so the scenic board is 6 x 1 , I'm just trying to get a feel for what I can fit onto it as I'm stumped at the moment

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave.

The platform edge was where the layout originaly ended. It has been extended backwards twice since then....as I have been on a 10year learning curve with it all.

Quite exciting for me, as once all this work is completed it will be the end of the journey. And I will do a big photo sessions with different scenarios.

The original board was 30cm wide

(from the back of the platform to the front)

And it is 240cm long.

Cheers

Steve

The beginnings of the bridge underside, with the view into the layout.

IMG_20210308_200158.jpg.13caf59b4e193656c562e38028173b46.jpg

IMG_20210308_200203.jpg.dbe0ac3ba74b3d20eb72b4eae17c04f9.jpg

• Like 3