Bachmann/Mainline 43xx hybrid

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

I ve found an old Mainline class 43xx in its box, abet with failed Mainline chassis. The body and tender seem quite good for their age, and my thoughts turned to sourcing a suitable replacement chassis. Does anyone know if, or has tried fitting the later Bachmann 93xx  or 43xx chassis into the Mainline body?  Is it a straight fit or is so surgery required?

In the back of my mind l seem to recall that the cylinders on the 93xx were different to the earlier 43xx?

Can anyone help please?

Bob C

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann won't supply a running chassis separately as a spare part; I believe they stopped doing this when the 94xx was announced because people were buying 57xx chassis to put the Lima 94xx body on top of, which they thought would harm sales of their own 94xx.  Then they took 6 years to produce their own 94xx,,,

The original Mainline 43xx body was not at all bad; most Mainline locos  were pretty good in terms of scale, finish, and detail, but the chassis was a dog, as you have found out.  AFAIK the body tooling was not altered by Bachmann but a new motor replaced the Mainline pancake, improving performance considerably and disposing of the splitting gears problem, but the chassis was still the split type with the unreliable wheels which go out of quarter if you look at them funny.  Moreover, the Mainline 43xx, and the Manor, have incorrectly shaped Belpaire fireboxes that are too high and too wide to accommodate the original pancake motors and this also applies to the Bachmann models.  

Despite some of the comments, I'd say you are better off with a Dapol 43xx.  OTOH, if you have a Bachmann chassis that runs well available there is no harm in putting the old Mainline body on top of it; it should be a straight fit but if not will not need major surgery.  I've done something similar with a donor Bachmann chassis and an old Mainline 57xx body, which needed a couple of hours' fettling but fitted eventually.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Short answer...

yes a Bachmann chassis will fit in the Mainline body.

ive done it a few times.

I have also taken the traction tyred wheelset off the mainline chassis and re-used it on both Bachmann 93xx and Manor chassis, as it substantially improves its adhesion.

With the new tooled Dapol release out there, theres never been a cheaper time to find a s/h Bachmann chassis, if you want to return an old one back to use.

That said, if its not for personal reasons, and you have a few spare quid, the new Dapol one is very nice.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Another consideration is that Dapol's mogul has late, i.e. 63xx features, whereas the Mainline/Bachmann version has the earlier 43xx-53xx features. Not a huge difference but may be material to your choice.

Given that Dapol sell virtually all of their mogul as spare parts it may be possible to contrive a combination of Mainline/Bachmann body with Dapol chassis components. The same would be true of the final 93xx/73xx Collett version (although I think the Mainline/Bachmann body is actually a 43xx/73xx hybrid). This is only a thought - I have not explored the practicalities, so it could be a lemon! Indeed, it may be easier to modify a Dapol mogul body (which is a long way from your original question!)

• RMweb Gold

The other possibility, chassis with the same wheels, cylinders, and motion, would be the Airfix/Hornby 61xx.  The problem here is that the motor would probably intrude into the cab, and of course the rear of the chassis block must be removed, but the later Hornby versions have different motors to the old Airfix open frame beastie.  I mention it because you might have one of these hanging around that can be pressed in to use.  There's also the current Hornby large prairie of course...

But this chassis is fundamentally flawed as it has a weak point at the plastic slide bars.  The Dapol is much better in appearance and detail as well.  Personally, I'd go for the Dapol either as a running chassis for the Mainline body or as a complete replacement loco.  You can then, once you've fettled the old Mainline to sit on the Dap chassis, model that as a different loco and occasionally swap bodies.

Edited by The Johnster

The Mainline 43XX was correct for the 4321 to 5389 series. It's also dimensionally accurate, just a bit crude looking at it forty years later. It was the Collett Goods that was too big over the firebox.

Bachmann (or was it Replica) made a new body for the 93XX cab windowed version. They are different models but used the same chassis. This also has the correct splasher arrangement for the later variant and the extended front section. I'm surprised they never made a 63XX version at the time.

Personally I'm hoping for an earlier version from someone other than Dapol.

Better chassis?

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/locomotive/lcp29/

Jason

The motion bracket is hybrid on the 93xx/73xx - both tall and thin and short and wide components in the same moulding. Presumably the tooling would not allow an accurate representation?

And so to a hobbyhorse. In military modelling any new release is followed by a slew of after market providers with components to improve, or correct, the new offering. I am sure that there is similar scope for RTR railway modelling. 

It would have used parts common with the Manor.

To be honest most of us weren't considering such things at the time. That was for those that modelled in EM and P4, and most of them probably wouldn't have touched it as they were building their own versions.

But there was detailing and conversion kits at the time. Both Crownline and M&L did them. I've got the 93XX and extended frame/buffer version 83XX by M&L.

There was also the K's kit for the 63XX. Got one of those as well.

Plenty of after market parts still available, but most RTR buyers aren't interested.

Worth remembering when it first came out Hornby were still making the Ivatt 2-6-0. The 43XX was light years ahead of that.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Gentlemen,

many thanks for taking the time to answer my query, you have all given me a few ideas to look into. At least l know l can source a Bachmann chassis, knowing l can use it.

As always you help is very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Bob C

• RMweb Premium

Well l ve taken the plunge after finding a Bachmann 31-830  (Great Western Liveried) example. It is l believe the last version  that Bachmann released, having blackened wheels and motion. This example comes complete with tender with blackened wheels too. So a little touch up to the wheel rims with satin black and we should be good to go!  

I ll pop a photo of the finished beastie once l ve completed it, see what you think

Once again thanks for the advice,

Bob C